𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

SOME PEOPLE WONDERED WHO THE biological father of Princess Naerys Velaryon really was

SOME PEOPLE WONDERED WHO THE biological father of Princess Naerys Velaryon really was. With the princes, the answer was simple and quite obvious, given the knight's proximity to the children. But Naerys looked a lot more like her mother when she was younger, and out of all the children, she had the most Valyrian traits. Perhaps her mother's side had prevailed, but the same hadn't happened with Jacaerys, Lucerys and Joffrey. It certainly raised questions and made people intrigued. Queen Alicent was one of them.

She lowered the glass of wine after draining its contents and kept her gaze focused on Rhaenyra's first born child. Their side of the table was, for lack of better words, absolute savagery. Whilst the queen's children dined in silence without bother, Rhaenyra's bastards laughed loudly and clinked their glasses, pretending to toast with wine.

The princess wore an adoring smile on her face which made her seem even younger as she watched over her sons and daughter. How insolent of her to appear so happy after all the stress she had caused Alicent and Viserys. She was truly vexing.

Ser Laenor wasn't present at dinner that night, but that wasn't very surprising to Alicent. His sinful deeds hadn't gone unnoticed either. What a ridiculous family. Hiding behind their ludicrous lies that everyone could see. Everyone but the King.

"You barely touched your plate and you drained three cups of wine," Viserys noticed, leaning closer to his wife. "What bothers you, my Queen?"

There was a sigh as she rested her head on her hand. "Our son Aemond," she responded lowly. "I found him in our granddaughter's chambers."

"Princess Naerys?"

"Indeed," she confirmed, attempting to keep a neutral tone. "What are we to make of that?"

Viserys paused at her question. This wasn't where he expected the conversation to go. "What is there to make of it? They are children, Alicent."

"They are children, and you know it is not proper for them to be alone together without someone else to chaperone them," Alicent said, pouring herself a new glass of wine. "Do you know the questions this incident could raise if someone of importance had seen them? Or even if it was just a servant. He is a prince, she is a princess. They did not behave as such. The door was closed. They were alone."

Viserys rubbed both his hands across his face, exhaustion taking over. His wife had a unique talent for creating difficult situations. "It is not proper for them to be alone... the way you and I were after Aemma's death." Her silence spoke enough volumes. "Very well. I will ask you again. What are we to make of this?"

On the other side of the table, Rhaenyra's ears perked up at the sound of her daughter's name being uttered by her father. She couldn't hear the rest of the conversation, but it was enough to make her suspicious and alert. Naerys had come to her earlier and told her what happened between her and the Queen's second son, swearing it was the full truth, and that nothing foul had occurred that could compromise their good names. Rhaenyra believed her, of course, but she knew Alicent well enough to fear what she might want to do about it.