𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

AEMOND GRASPED HER WAIST TIGHTLY, keeping her steady on the saddle

AEMOND GRASPED HER WAIST TIGHTLY, keeping her steady on the saddle. Naerys wasn't nervous or flustered, she had soared above the clouds before, though her dragon could hardly compare to Vhagar in size or experience. She wasn't used to riding with someone sitting right behind her, and the proximity of his body to hers tampered with her ability to concentrate. She could feel his warmth. She could feel his chest pressed against her back and how his breath teased the sensitive area of her exposed neck. It made her wonder what would happen if his hands ventured freely over her curves without consequences. She tried to banish such devious thoughts, but it was difficult to have him so painfully close.

"Are you comfortable?" he inquired in a low tone.

Naerys shifted awkwardly, which caused him to groan in response. "Aemond, you are glued to me. Do you think I am comfortable?"

"Yes?"

"No," Naerys replied, taking a shuddering breath.

"Would you rather slip and fall off Vhagar's back?"

"Would you rather I push you?"

Aemond chuckled lightly. "You could try."

Naerys glanced at him sideways, arching an eyebrow. "Do not tempt me."

His expression turned to one of sheer amusement. "Empty threats," he muttered, smiling. One of his hands left her waist briefly to pat the she-dragon gently on the back. "We are ready. Fly, Vhagar."

Vhagar's body stirred and shook like a seismic wave, attempting to get rid of the sand that had piled up. Naerys gasped at the sudden movement. Blackfyre flew away so he wouldn't end up squashed underneath one of her limbs whilst Vhagar gained some leverage. When she flapped her wings, Naerys felt her stomach drop to her feet, a sensation of dread and wonder possessing her.

She could hear Aemond's laughter in her ears, but she could hardly pay attention. His arms circled her waist and pulled her as close to him as humanly possible. Vhagar took flight and Blackfyre followed after her, remaining slightly above them.

Vhagar's jaws opened to release a blast of fire, which Blackfyre managed to pass through without a hitch. The younger dragon let out his own fiery breath, but it had little to no effect on Vhagar. Blackfyre flew in circles around her, trying to elicit some sort of reaction. Naerys chuckled at their antics, having no doubt that it wasn't the first time they had done something like this.

Aemond found it surprising how Vhagar had the patience to handle his betrothed's dragon. Being the hardened survivor of a hundred battles, he thought she would dismiss his juvenile behavior, but instead it seemed like Blackfyre amused her.

They flew close to the Red Keep, scaring the flocks of birds that were already asleep at that hour, and then flew over the entire city, passing dangerously close to the tallest buildings. Hearing her laugh so freely brought Aemond some relief, for he was glad that she was able to enjoy herself in his presence. At that moment, he realized that he never wanted to be separated from her again, and a part of him thanked his mother for suggesting their union.