𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑

DAEMON CURSED THE FACT THAT HIS first daughter had taken after him in more ways than one

DAEMON CURSED THE FACT THAT HIS first daughter had taken after him in more ways than one. Her wrath, her impulsivity, her vexing desire to constantly have the last word, and the way she enjoyed pissing her father off reminded him of his younger self. Ever since they had told Naerys about the betrothal, she had made it her personal mission to test the limits of his patience.

This could only be the punishment of the gods, having a daughter who tried to get on his nerves whenever she had the chance.

Several hours had passed since they arrived to King's Landing and Daemon still hadn't laid eyes on her once. Jacaerys and Lucerys had come to Rhaenyra to let her know that they caught their older sister in the courtyard, watching Aemond's training session with Ser Criston Cole. This didn't even surprise him, despite her complaints the day before. Back when they were children, Aemond and Naerys were already close to one another and everyone knew. It made him wonder, however, what she was planning and what sort of headache she would have in store for him this time.

There was always something.

"You have been awfully quiet all day," Rhaenyra observed. "What is wrong, husband?"

It was a stupid thing to ask, and she realized it as soon as the words left her mouth, but instead of mocking her, Daemon waved his hand and mumbled, "Something tells me that we have made the wrong decision and it will cost us later."

"Naerys and Aemond?"

"The Queen must have had her reasons to come up with such a preposterous idea," Daemon said, picking up his glass of wine from the table. "Either she hopes their marriage will force us to remain still while they usurp the throne, or she hopes Naerys will turn against us because of her son."

"I know my own daughter," Rhaenyra argued, gulping hard. "She would never turn against me."

Daemon cocked an eyebrow, taking a sip of his drink. "No, I do not believe she would. At least not without being threatened by these cunts."

Rhaenyra bit her lip, glancing out the window towards the city. "After they get married, the Hightowers cannot lay a hand on her."

"She will be a part of their family too. The only link between us and them, and if their marriage goes as expected, she will have his children. They cannot harm her without striking Aemond."

"She will be protected, but she will not be with us," Rhaenyra concluded, sighing heavily. "What if he hurts her? Daemon, I cannot bear it."

"Perish the thought," he told her, placing a soothing hand on his wife's shoulder. "I would kill him before he could think of hurting our girl."

______________

Aemond caught his future wife sneaking out of the Red Keep at an ungodly hour.