𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

PRINCESS NAERYS OF HOUSE VELARYON had blossomed into a beautiful young woman

PRINCESS NAERYS OF HOUSE VELARYON had blossomed into a beautiful young woman. There were whispers of her fiery beauty all across the Seven Kingdoms. Suitors would often travel to Dragonstone to ask for her hand in marriage, regardless of the rumors they heard surrounding the legitimacy of her birth. She declined all of their offers, or chased them away with the help of Blackfyre, much to her mother's distress.

Her relationship with Rhaenyra had become more strained over the years. She didn't wish for it to happen, but she couldn't overlook some of her mother's decisions. Marrying Daemon Targaryen right after Ser Laenor died horribly was one of those decisions that she abhorred. She held no resentment for the rogue prince, but they had both disrespected the memory of their Velaryon spouses. To add more to the growing tension between them, Rhaenyra felt that it was her duty to be honest with her daughter and finally tell her that neither Ser Laenor nor Ser Harwin were her biological parents. It had been Daemon all along. Naerys thought it so ridiculous that she laughed in her face when Rhaenyra told her the truth.

Her reaction didn't surprise Daemon in the least. Naerys was, after all, his daughter. A difficult temper was to be expected from any child of his, especially if said child had come from Rhaenyra as well. Viserys would have told them they deserved such predicament. It was payment for all the migraines that both had caused him.

Naerys did the best she could to avoid unnecessary arguments. She would spend countless hours above the clouds with Blackfyre almost every day, who had been growing bigger every year. She didn't want to be bothered with pointless conversations of marriage. It would only serve to piss her off and make her mother sad, and she didn't want that either. Despite everything, her love for Rhaenyra ran deep, and she would do anything to make her happy. Anything but marrying someone her mother picked out for her. She wasn't totally against the idea of marriage. What Rhaenyra didn't seem to grasp was the fact that there hadn't been a man who pleased her enough to do it just yet.

She refused to live a farce. She didn't want to be trapped in a false marriage, like her mother and Ser Laenor had been. If that were to be the case, she would rather live and die alone without a husband or children. Daemon, on the other hand, was less concerned about which lord or prince was more adequate for his princess. He had been absent for most of his daughter's life. If he had the chance to spend a few more years with her before she got betrothed, he wouldn't be opposed to it.

Despite what happened in Driftmark, her relationship with her younger brothers and her half-sisters had grown stronger. Naerys had managed to make amends with the four of them, and Rhaena even apologized for attacking her so ruthlessly. Life in Dragonstone had proved itself to be very peaceful. In a few years, she would look back and recall how blissful it had been, with so many happy memories, in spite of the shadows that loomed above them all. She would know, for certain, that at least some part of her life hadn't been reigned by absolute chaos.

"If my daughter is not married by the time I ascend to the Iron Throne, what will become of her?" wondered Rhaenyra, caressing her very pregnant belly. "I only want her to be safe and happy."