11. EVIL CAT

"Good morning, ma'am. Did you enjoy your first night here?" A round woman smirked at Orla, sifting her dark curly hair with her tiny fingers. "I heard the boss brought in his new bride last night." She twinkled her eyes and twitched her lips in a small smile that didn't seem genuine.

Orla snagged the contempt that marred her expression as she talked to her. She hummed an answer followed with a short nod, eyes flickering around the room to distract herself from the woman in front of her.

She didn't know who she was, but she seemed to know a lot about her. Maybe her whole history, if possible. Orla didn't care but what was with the nasty glares like she stole her bonbons?

"I am Allison, I'm in charge of cleaning the presidential suite in the penthouse. It's nice meeting you." She extended her chubby palm for a handshake, but Orla didn't jump at it. She contemplated for a few seconds before sliding her palm into Allison's, hurriedly bumping it up and down, jerking her palm off as if thorns were sprouting on Allison's palm. "I guess the boss is still relishing last night's pleasure, he doesn't stay this long in bed."

Orla shrugged her shoulders and turned away from her. She could think whatever she wanted to think. All men to his thoughts and opinions.

"Well, I do other things aside from cleaning." Allison was back in front of Orla, still running her fingers through her hair. "But...before we get into that, you haven't told me what your name is."

"Orla!" She yelled frustratedly, searching around for her cat.

"Oh, that's rare. So, Mrs Barlowe..."

"I just told you my name, call me Orla please." Orla cut in sharply. The surname infuriated her and she didn't want to be addressed by that yet.

Maybe she would want it later, or she would forever dread it, she wasn't certain yet and she didn't ever want to be certain. It was clear that she and Callan would never get along, he didn't want her and she knew that.

"You're my Boss's wife. Calling you Orla is disrespectful. How about Mrs Orla Barlowe?" Allison asked, clicking her tongue as she rolled her eyes in weariness. "Back to what I was saying before the name discussion," she heaved a sigh and shook her head. "I can do other things like getting you dressed before the Boss wakes up."

Orla's eyes moved from her chest down to her feet. She was still donning Callan's shirt from last night, her hair was messily packed into a bun and nothing about her was pretty that morning. Nothing about her was ever beautiful, she wasn't like her other sisters, who always looked so beautiful and angelic even after waking up from sleep in the morning.

"I don't need that," she bluntly refused.

"You should, you have to look beautiful for the Boss. A new bride shouldn't be shabbily dressed. Who wants to keep a horrible looking bride?" Allison already uttered the words before she realised the gravity of what she had said. She bowed her head apologetically. "I didn't mean to trash you out, I just wanted to help." She muttered, squinting her blue eyes.

Orla said nothing, she took a turn and sighted Betty hopping towards Allison, she had the little time to save her from jumping at Allison who was oblivious of the cat's presence, but she chose not to do that. She let the stray jump all over Allison, plunging her claws all over her cheeks.

Allison cried out for help, struggling to get Betty off her skin, but the cat became more violent, didn't let go until she left bruises on her chubby face.

When the commotion with Betty was getting aggressive, Orla stepped in by taking her cat away from Allison. She hugged Betty to her chest and winked at Allison.

"Sorry, but that's for calling me ugly." Smirking, she turned toward the door that led to the bedroom and mistakenly bumped into Callan, who was on his way out already.

He had wanted to stay a little longer, but Allison's screams had disrupted him.

"What happened here?" He was furious. Eyes burned with resentment as he looked from Orla to Allison. He growled harder when he glimpsed the blood that smeared Allison's face. She was sobbing and cleaning the blood from her skin.

Orla glared at Allison. Though she was nothing to Callan, she was certain that Allison wouldn't dare to open her mouth to tell the Boss that she called his new wife ugly.

"An accident," Allison voiced out. "I will be back," she hurried out of the room before she made matters worse than it already was.

-

Orla stood steadily next to her husband, she didn't dare to meet his vicious eyes. She breathed hard and took a step forward, but he grabbed her arms to thwart her from moving. He quickly let go and yelled. "What did your cat do to my staff?"

Orla shook in trepidation. She hated that everything about Callan scared the hell out of her. His angry voice echoed in her ears again, causing her to flinch.

"She said it was an accident." She murmured.

"She said that, but I saw it all. You were next to her, watching as your stupid cat trampled all over her and you didn't do a thing."

"What should I have done? She called me ugly." Orla talked back, louder and clear for him to hear her right.

"And was she wrong for calling you that?" He scoffed, starting into her eyes. "I thought you were only slow, but now, I realise how disgusting you are. What was I thinking when I chose you to be my wife?" He dug his nails into his hair, pacing the room angrily. "I must be mad when I made that decision!"

Orla nodded her head. He really was mad when he chose her.

"I have told you to get rid of that thing you call a cat. Why is it still here?" He queried, eyes on poor Betty.

Orla drew Betty closer to her chest and shook her head. "Betty means the world to me and I won't give her up for anything. You can return me to my father's room or even throw me out in the streets. You can yell at me and call me names, but I will never-" she paused and choked back a tear. Boldly staring into Callan's eyes, she continued. "I will never give up Betty, not for anything!" She uttered and ran out of his presence.

She was already fed up, it's been just a day and she was exhausted.

Rosa knocked at the door before pushing it open after Callan's order. She flashed a smile at him, muttering some words of greeting.

"What are my schedules for the day?" Callan didn't acknowledge her greetings. He was too pissed off to be smiling back that morning. Not that he ever smiled at her though.

Rosa called out what she had written down on the list and adjusted her blazers. "The construction company called last night, they are done with the renovation and you can now move back into your mansion."

"I see," Callan muttered, handing his briefcase to Rosa. "Let's go." He said frantically and they trudged out of the room.

Callan had one thing on his mind as he walked towards the elevator, and that was the fact that Orla disobeyed him. She dared to talk back at him. Sighing, he thought of ways he could punish her.

Faithy💓