62. MOTHER-IN-LAW

Five Months Later

Emotionally, things had gotten a lot better with Orla. Though she was still trying to let her mind off the pain her family had caused her, she didn't let her feelings override her anymore.

She hadn't forgiven her sisters, especially now that Arnold had decided to sue the three sisters who were involved in the death cases.

She had no idea why he was doing that now, but no matter what he did, she knew things would never be right between them. She had ignored several calls for him to see her. 

There was no point in doing that after all these years. He made it clear to her that he'd forever hate her, Orla wanted it that way—for him to forever loathe her. There was no point in patching things up because there were no pieces to pick up. He had shattered everything a long time ago.

She was dabbing her face with the small foam, getting ready for the visit to the hospital that morning.

Her baby bump was already visible now, and she and Callan had to get acquainted with some new ways of life that wouldn't stress the baby. Though hard, Callan made sure he was always by her side to make things easy for her.

Callan advised against going to work, he felt the strenuous activities she was involved in would affect the baby, but Orla didn't agree. She had gotten permission from the doctors that she could go to work but would beS involved in fewer activities to keep the baby healthy. And she had followed that every day. She only stayed back at home on days she was really tired.

Callan walked towards the mirror side, he stood behind her back and watched her from the mirror, admiring how perfect she was with the baby bump.

Orla grabbed the blush brush and was about to dab her face with it when she saw her husband staring intently at her.

"I know I have gotten a lot bigger, my clothes don't even fit anymore." She whined, caressing her fingers against her swollen nose. "And my nose is five times its normal size, will this be permanent?" 

She turned back to look at Callan. He had a proud smile on his face.

"You are beautiful, always beautiful no matter what you look like." He folded his arms against his chest, watching her with so much love. "You are so perfect, Orla, and I will always love whatever you look like." He threw his arms down, taking some steps towards her. He bent a little and placed a kiss on her nose, "Now, hurry up. We have an appointment with the doctor."

Her face turned red. She nodded her head obediently, adding final touches to her makeup. When she was sure she was perfect and Callan had admitted to how beautiful she was, she straightened out of the chair.

"Let's go,"

He slid on his loafers, taking her hand in his. Callan was supposed to be in a business meeting outside the country that weekend, but he had dropped all businesses for only the businesses that had to do with his wife. Orla felt blessed, she knew she was. Having a husband like Callan was a blessing to her.

Callan made sure Orla was settled in the car before heading to the driver's seat. He hopped in and sought her permission before driving out of the house. 

Orla disliked the stillness that compressed the car on the way to the hospital. She grabbed a pack of croissants from the dashboard and devoured it hurriedly. Her cravings these days were crazy, she always ate the things she had always hated in her life. Callan understood the cravings of a pregnant woman so he let her have whatever she wanted in extras.

"I got a call from your mom." Orla started. The news was new to Callan. He was oblivious to the fact that his mother had his wife's number.

"How did she get your number, and what did she tell you?" His tone was hard, but Orla knew too well that he didn't use that tone on her. He was getting pissed off because his mother called her.

"To apologize for how she treated me." She smiled. Her eyes went down to Callan's hand that was on the break of the car. It stiffened, calling out for her touch. She gently moved her hand down, resting it in his hand. She felt a spark within her, and she knew Callan did too from how he stared back at her.

The connection between them was insane. It had always grown better, she loved the feeling so badly.

"She was nice to me, Callan." She said in a soft voice. "She's my mother-in-law, and we would need her to take care of our baby. We can't keep fighting, you know?" She explained, hoping that her husband would see reason with her.

"I could hire a nanny, I don't care." He meant his words.

"I have never had a mother figure in my life. If she's intentional with us, Callan. Let's forgive her, I want to feel that motherly love again if she's ready to show it to me."

The realness in her voice shook Callan. He wanted to hold her so badly and kissed her so much, patting her back with words of assurance that he could be her mother and father. He could be everything that she wanted and even more.

"It's not certain that my father and I will get back together anytime soon." 

Callan understood her and he didn't push her towards reconciling with her father.

"And we both can't be at arm's-length with our parents even though they've hurt us so much. Your mother's sins are forgivable, she didn't resent you. She was just being insecure, and I am glad she understood before things got bad. Callan, do you forgive her?"

"I have never had anything against her. I just hated the fact that she disliked you so much and felt she could control my life however she wanted." He halted the car when he arrived at the hospital. "But it's fine if you want me to forgive her."

"I want you to, Callan." She squeezed his hands. "Our baby will need her grandmother."

"Her or his grandmother?" He joked, holding her tighter than she held him. "And what about their grandfather?"

"I wouldn't stop them back from meeting him," Orla said.

 In truth, she planned to let her kids have a relationship with her father, but she wasn't certain she could build something with him anymore. 

Their father and daughter relationship was too stained.

Hello, good evening everyone.

So, about this chapter, this is just the first part. The second part drops tomorrow or overnight. I'm so sorry for not making this longer. I have the chapter ready, but needs to be edited.

Even this was not properly edited, but I just have to post tonight. Don't forget to vote and comment as you await the final part of this chapter.

Thank you so much, I love you so much.

Faithy💓