Chapter 56

Her

She reaches the hotel with a thrill in her blood at what she is about to do. She sends a quick text before yanking the dress out of the trunk and heads up to her room. She asked for the same room.

She's grown attached to it.

She's pleased to see Elijah waiting for her in the room. He rises, dressed like a cold prince. Good thing some rich men have taste. Ava curves a shy smile his way, ignoring all the intrusive thoughts in her mind. Elijah is an attractive man, achingly so.

But he's just not Ivan.

She has some audacity to be thinking that while she is planning to cause damage to him.

"You made it." His lightly accented voice fills the room.

"I kept my word." She says. "If you bore me, I'm dropping you."

Elijah laughs and Ava joins in. She drops the heavy silver dress at the edge of the bed before greeting the man with a hug. His large hands wrap around Ava's spine, dipping low enough to make her aware.

"You're late." He says, pulling back and ushering her to the washroom. "Better get ready in twenty or I'm leaving you here."

They have been texting, plotting and mulling over a million things to do. To her, this is full use of her newfound freedom. She spends time with who she wants to, kisses who she wants to and shows up with who she thinks deserves it.

The three of them haven't earned it yet.

"Had to seal the deal to make it real." Ava flashes the small cut on her hand. Elijah's eyes widen, but he doesn't question it.

Ava lets out a snicker before hauling ass to change. As per her request, he has all the makeup and accessories she asked for. Of course, he does.

Why wouldn't he? This is his chance to get one up on Ivan Roman. Elijah regained her attention when he asked her to be a date for a yearly auction of assets that Ivan and Elijah both attend, their eyes set on the same things and often a mini cold war ensuing.

Lily, Ren and Ivan chose to leave Ava out of it, probably thinking she needs time to integrate herself into their cycles. In fact, they didn't even inform her about it. A sly smile curves on her face as she brushes her hands down the crystal-adorned dress.

They aren't expecting her, let alone in this excuse of a dress.

It splits wide open at the center, almost reaching her navel. Long sleeves hide her bullet wound, patches cover her scars and the faux sheer look dresses her like a price. The dress perfectly matches her eyes.

And her lip shade perfectly matches her mood—blood red.

She's finished in ten minutes, strolling out with a little silver purse and 6-inch heels. In the better lighting of her room, Ava marvels at her reflection.

"You have excellent taste, Mr. Hofer." Ava comments, smoothing her hands down her curves. She looks like a different version of herself, one she hasn't seen before. She has arranged her red hair into tight curls, looking like a halo around her head.

"Can't argue with that." Elijah's tone is a little rough and Ava's eyes move to him. He's closely studying how the dress hugs her middle, gracefully cinching around her hips. The heat and restraint in his eyes make her cheeks red.

"Get that horny look out of your eyes, you dog." Ava laughs.

Elijah's eyes widen before he barks out a laugh completely at odds with how regal and snobby he looks. He is still getting used to her abrasiveness. Ava likes the easygoing air between them. No promises, no attachment, no need to hold up an image.