Chapter 36

How can I live in this moment?
When my thoughts never feel like my own and,
Don't know how to admit I'm broken.

| I Can't Breathe - Bea Miller |

×

Ava takes a measured step back, unflinching in the face of Sirena's wails. Her eyes drink in his death, the frozen and glassy look in his eyes. That's it. It's over.

It's over.

You're being stupid, Ava.

She touches her cheek, the world blurring. Unexpected tears spill down her cheeks as a laugh bubbles out of her. She did it. She killed him. Calmness spreads in her body like a disease, unfamiliar and urgent.

Everyone you ever trusted has fucked you over. You think he won't?

The gun falls out of her hand. Her head stops roaring.

No one actually fucking loves you, Ave.

Something inside Ava's chest whirrs so violently, she exhales a ragged breath.

Pandora fucked you over.

He knows nothing. He's lying. He's trying to get under her skin. She can't let him win.

First Julien, then me, now him.

He's dead. He has to get out of her head. He has to.

You're too flawed, you're too broken.

"You killed him!" Sirena's scream wrenches Ava out of her thoughts. "I'm going to kill you!"

Too many things happen at once. Ava blinks her eyes clear, staring down the barrel and blanches as the gun goes off. Her entire body jerks back, large hands catching her fall. Her chest heaves with heavy breaths, panic mixing in with the burning of her limbs.

Her eyes open to William's face, gaze fixed on the shadow beneath his carved jaw. He's not looking at her. She follows his stunned eyes, finding Sirena on the floor, crying.

She's clutching her bloody hand to her chest.

All eyes turn to Ren, his so cold and empty. A chill passes through Ava. He shot the gun out of her hand before she could kill Ava.

His murderous gaze turns to Ava slowly, to William, then to his hands secure around her middle. Something sparks in his eyes. "Get her out of here."

Ava's stomach turns at his dark, soulless tone. Smiling, charming Lorenzo. The golden boy. The revel.

He's dead.

There is nothing kind in those green eyes, nothing human. His eyes move back to Sirena, strained control and anger making his skin pale. His blonde curls do little to hide the malicious intent in them. He packs the gun back in a controlled move.

William's hands tighten on her, as if sensing the unhinged tension in Ren's body. He walks towards Sirena.

"You shot me." She sobs. "You shot me. You—"

Ava looks away, hating it. Ren's smile had cut her off, the smile that held no love, no care and no sympathy. He's circling her.

"Lily will stay back to make sure I don't kill you." He drawls like an icy, broken prince. Lily's eyes dart to Ava, gaze restrained. Her posture is off, body turned to Ava while face towards Ren. Guilt. "Imagine all the fucked up things I will do to you if you were alone with me."

Sirena cowers back pathetically, knowing there's no help on the way. All Ava wants to do is give him a hug. Tell him to snap out of it.

But he won't. This has shattered the gold inside him. Melted it and poured it over his kind heart, blistering it out of existence. He will never be the same.