Chapter 34

You actually thought that you could bring me down.

| Jinco & SVNAH - Crown |

×

Ava hears a loud noise before Alec comes into view, gun raised and pointed at Leo.

"Ava." Alec shouts, half in question and half in fury she's never seen on his face.

"This should be fun." Leo grumbles. The gun goes off, making Ava flinch. Leo slips off her, body convulsing and twisting in pain. Leo lets out a high-pitched scream, trickling over her skin. Ava pushes up, unsteady, and snatches the gun out of his fingers.

She shoots each of his knees without a second thought as she watches blood pour from his middle. Alec hit a good spot. He won't die but he'll writhe in pain while she fixes everything he broke.

His screams faze out of her attention. She can't find his knife.

Alec groans, spluttering. Ava's head swings in his direction, and with horror she sees the handle of the blade protruding from his chest.

Leo threw the blade at him.

Ava grabs each of Leo's wrists, fracturing them efficiently. He can't walk, he can't crawl. All he can do is bleed and wait. Like she did that night.

A victorious smile breaks on Ava's face as she wipes the sweat off her forehead, leaving it bloody. She snatches the keys out of his pocket, kicking him in the groin once and drinking in his pain before moving to the metal bars.

She kicks off her heels, eyes sharp on Alec. He tried to save her life. She won't let him die.

"Which one?" She asks him. Pain heavy in his eyes, his eyes tread up to meet hers.

"Did he hurt you?" His voice is a gurgle. He coughs harshly, blood spotting the corner of his mouth. "Did he—

"No." Ava says firmly and kneels in front of him. His hand reaches for the lodged blade and she swats the hand away. "Don't touch it. I'm going to get you out of here. Tell me which key."

She dangles it in front of him. It takes him a while to focus before he points out the right one. Ava clinks the cell shut, leaving Leo's body inside the cell as he twists and flails.

Not registering the long shallow slash bleeding down her entire body, Ava flings his muscular arm around her shoulder and hauls him up in one go. They grunt in unison, stumbling a little before heading for the stairs.

"The door..." He heaves out a breath. "It's difficult to open."

"We'll do it together." Ava drives strength into her voice.

They reach the door and she can tell he's moments away from collapsing. Ava is wavering under his weight but she endures it.

"A little more," Ava says, to both of them. "One, two, three—"

They throw their weight against the door, blasting it open. Light floods Ava's vision, momentarily blinding her. Both of them hurdle to the marble floor, howling in pain. Ava shifts him at the last moment so he doesn't land on his front.

For a moment, they both pant. Ava is viciously grateful for the pleasant cinnamon scent and fresh air of the house. She ushers her limbs into a sitting position, eyes casting around the empty hall.

"Are they here?" She asks him softly.

Alec nods. "Call out for them."

Ava decides against it. "I'm going to drag you to the couch. Nothing personal."