Chapter 63

Before Ava even have a chance to open her eyes, the burning pain in her throat that has her scrambling to her feet. She surges forward, coughing and feeling the fire in her lungs rise and fall with each breath.

For a moment all she can hear is her broken breathing. And then...

Everything goes quiet.

It was a dream. She fell asleep.

Her burning eyes register the room, her bed and her drenched clothes. She's in Ivan's mansion, she's safe in her bed. Her hands roam her body for entry and exit wounds but she finds nothing.

Eventually, she rubs the spot right over her heart to calm her thundering heart, trying to hold onto the fragmented pictures in her mind.

Before she can think much on it, she's on her feet and out of the room. She only fully comes back into reality when she finds herself outside Ivan's room.

Fuck. What is she doing? Did someone fucking drug her?

Ava begins to turn back but her body stops again. Once again, silence hangs over her like a threat.

She came here because she feels safe. Why didn't she go to Lily?

Ava doesn't let the guilt calcify. She cautiously draws closer to the door, surprised to find it ajar. Is he with someone?

She opens the door and slips in, leaving the door behind her just how she found it. Darkness greets her and she can't help but remember the first time she walked through those doors. The colder temperature of his room sends a chill through her and she's miserably reminded of the fact that she is hardly wearing anything.

If anyone saw her moving towards Ivan's room, it will definitely be talked about for a week.

"What do you want?"

Ivan's harsh voice sends Ava back with a flinch. She spots him at the end of the hallway to his study, leaning against the wall. Her laboured breathing hisses between them.

"You scared me." Ava says dumbly.

He doesn't respond, so she ventures closer to him. Earlier memories of barging into his room bombard her but she braves them and keeps moving until she is a couple feet—

"Stop." Ivan says, voice cold. "Turn around and go back to your room."

Ava doesn't move.

"Are you deaf?" He's the one to close the distance between them, his warm breath blowing in her face. The liquor on his breath forces her to lean back.

"Need to talk." Ava speaks past the pain in her throat. "I need to talk to you about something."

"Go talk to your sister." Ivan says. Ava almost flinches again, but her pride doesn't allow it. Feeling defeat flush down her body, she rears her head back to the door, fully intent on leaving.

Until she takes a silent breath and fresh blood overwhelms her system.

Ava turns back to Ivan, fully ignoring his warning to get a better look at him.

"Why are you always bleeding when I come here?" Ava asks quietly, trying her best not to worsen her pain. "What did you—"

"Ava." Ivan growls, snatching her wrist before it can touch him.

Despite herself, a shudder passes through her at the sound of her name on his lips. Ava tries to pull her hand back but his grip tightens.

"You sound different." Ivan says. "Are you sick?"

Ava shakes her head. "I had a bad dream."

He lowers their joined hands, refusing to let go of her. Ava appreciates the warmth of his palm more than she should.