Chapter 41

I know you're sitting alone.

| Chase Atlantic - Ozone |

×

"If you need anything, call me on this number." William says. Ava looks down to see he has saved his name as WC. She expected more creativity from him, like the devil, satan or something equally vile.

Ava throws up a thumbs up, waiting for him to leave. The room is expansive. She expected something simple, he gave her a fucking palace. She can cook her own meals, take a bath while looking at the city, drink herself to death and watch some trash on the TV

She asked for a tub. There's a fucking jacuzzi.

"Do you own this?" She asks.

"Part of it." William straightens. "It's the safest and the biggest. No one will disturb you."

"Okay." She knows she should thank him but this is the least he can do to make up for so much shit. She doesn't give a fuck if that's entitled. "I don't want any of your guards lurking here."

If William is annoyed, he doesn't let it show. "As I said, no one will disturb you. You're alone here."

Just as he finishes talking, his phone vibrates. William pulls it out and reads the message before putting it back in his pocket.

"What's that?" Ava asks, unable to help herself.

"Lily is pissed," William says with some humor edging his tone. "She couldn't find you and thought I did something again."

Lily. Ava's chest aches. This has always been her problem. Caring too much too quickly. Her field has no place for attachments, but that has never stopped her from loving people deeply and then getting her heart ripped out and handed back to her.

It hurts worse to think of Ren. The house used to light up with his charm and charisma. Now there's a black hole where that light used to be.

"Three days." Ava says more to herself than William.

"Three days." William nods.

William gives her a final look before turning to the door to leave.

"One more thing," Ava says.

William turns, and the small smile is back on his face, almost teasing. "How many more things do you want?"

"A hairdresser," Ava says. "I need a haircut."

William takes a moment to assess her hair. The sudden scrutiny makes the tips of her cheeks burn. "They have one in the house, I'll send him?"

"Anything is fine, really. I would do it myself but—" Lilah used to cut her hair. "I want to change some things."

"It will be done." William says. "If there's anything else you need, text me."

Ava nods. "I'll text you." She will definitely like to test his limits. How much would be too much?

"Good girl." He drawls. Ava's self-respect threatens to leave her body at his words but she manages to look unbothered. The minute William is out the door, Ava locks the door and heads over to the mini bar and pours herself a glass of wine.

Fuck it. She'll take the whole bottle.

After a bit of figuring out, she gets the jacuzzi running. She strips down and eases herself into the warm water, careful of her bandage. The bubbles feel like soft caresses over her sore muscles, easing away the tension of the past days.