Chapter 30

I've lost my mind.
I don't mind.
Where's my mind?

| Bellyache - Billie Eilish (Marian Hill remix) |

x

They sure liked their parties. Of course, the ones invited didn't know every breath they took was getting combed through by William's people. Every party was a distraction for him to file out suspicious activities.

That's how he held his empire together, acting like a true criminal king.

They decided to give the couple a night alone, so by the evening when the house was up, Ava sat up straight, waiting for Lily. One celebration, then she will get her answers. She got to see Roisin again, the quiet redhead that always seemed to tail Lily like a scared puppy.

"What look are we going for today?" Lily asks. It's become a ritual at this point, what character Ava wants to play every time people see her. Last time she was on the railing looking down at Esteban. No one saw her.

This time everyone will see her for what she is. What she has become.

Lily clears her throat to get Ava's attention. There's something in her eyes that makes Ava go, "What is it?"

"Are you sure you're ready for another party?" Lily asks, straight to the point.

Ava thinks about it for a while. She's not that easily conditioned. The thought of a celebration, liquor and pretty girls only excites her. Ava has always been a party girl deep beneath. She's anxious, but for other reasons.

"I'm ready." Ava's voice is steady.

"What's the color today?" Lily asks.

This is a bad idea, Ava knows. But she's made up her mind. "William's tie. What color is that?"

Lily's quick to show her frustration at Ava's questions. "Ava. That's a bad idea."

Ava flashes her a smile, crossing her arms. "What's the worst that's gonna happen?"

Lily sighs like a parent before drawing out a blood red long dress with a see-through bodice. Ava's smile widens. She's gotten too used to not wearing her patches around her body. Lily doesn't flinch when she helps her get into the dress but Ava notices Roisin's face turned away and hands busy.

Ava stares back at her reflection, her own eyes hungrily roving her frame. The dress fits her like a glove. All of Ava's good eating has tucked in her stomach and made her hips and thighs rounder, arms fuller and defined. She flexes her muscles in the mirror, seeing a slender vein pop on her bicep.

She grunts obnoxiously and Lily's laughter makes her laugh, too. She moves to one of Ava's drawers and frowns. She sticks her hand into it and then fluidly back into her pocket.

"How do you want your makeup?" Roisin asks her silently.

"Oh, actually." Ava turns to the girl. "I want to do my eyes myself."

Roisin nods eagerly and hands her everything she needs. She feels Lily's eyes on her halfway through. Ava whirls to her. "Is it even?"

Lily blinks for a second as if Ava took her out of a trance. Then gives her a nod. "It's great."

Ava continues to work on her eyes, going as dark as possible. By then end, the smokey eyes and dark red lips make her look like a siren. She's going to draw a lot of eyes today, and they're going to get more than what they asked for.