Chapter 49

The car ride back to the mansion is awkward, to say the least. Ava's advantage in the situation is to keep her mouth shut, so that's exactly what she wields as a weapon against the three of them.

She wonders if they know how much they have hurt her. From the way Ren and Lily flutter around her and Ivan regards her, she's certain they have some inkling.

Otherwise, the bunch is stupider than what she gave them credit for.

Ava isn't a cold shoulder treatment kind of person, more like a feel-the-wrath kind of gal, but the thought of Marvin Weber being in their basement turns her gut to ice. She can't help it, so she uses it to her advantage. When the mansion comes into view, a strange part of her settles down. She's missed being here, even though it drastically altered the course of her life.

The light scent of cinnamon mixed with something darker hits her in the head like nostalgia. God, she's missed it. She doesn't guilt herself over it.

An hour later, Ava finds herself following the trio down to the basement.

"Help," A soft, masculine voice calls out. Then a louder, "Help!"

"Shut it." Ren hisses, his lightly accented voice sounding malicious.

Ava is the last to round on Marvin and his eyes light up with hope and trepidation at the same time. She is delighted to find him in a chair, hands and feet tied. She tries not to think about the last time she was down here.

"Ava," His light eyes glimmer in the dim lights of the basement. "Oh, thank Christ. Ava, you have to help me. Please, I—"

"Did you know my parents were killed?" It's the first time Ava has spoken after coming back to the mansion. There is no point in pleasantries. Based on what he tells her, Ava will decide his fate. As of now, his chances aren't looking so good. "Jacqueline and Lawrence Steele. Don't act stupid."

Marvin's face pales, shoulders slacking and sealing his fate. His lips tremble and Ava looks for even a trace of pity within her.

A gun emerges from her waistband.

There is none.

"Ava, please—" He begins, eyes turning round on the metal in her hand.

"Save the begging for later. Answer my question." Ava's voice is devoid of emotion. "Did you fuck with my memories? Yes or no."

Marvin weighs his options, but fear wins. Marvin is a civilian, making an honest living of helping people. A little push is enough to get him sweating and trembling.

"Yes." Marvin's voice is small.

"Hm." Ava mutters. "Dale?"

"Yes." He answers eagerly as if dying to shift the blame. It's funny, how he could easily get killed if Dale ever heard in on this exchange.

"Why?" Ava asks.

Marvin visibly swallows, his knees quaking despite being tied down. "Why?"

Ava exhales. She steps closer to him and his shoulders hunch, mouth widening in alarm. "Okay, okay. Let's just talk about it, okay?"

The therapist's tone makes Ava watch to retch on the floor. Memories of her crying on his couch, sipping the too-chlorinated water of his clinic and smelling the lavender scent wafting through his office slam into her.

The perfect set to build up a lie.

Her entire fucking life.

"You didn't exactly remember what happened, but you remembered seeing flickering lights and smoke and hearing your mother scream." He speaks in a rush.