Chapter 13: Revelations

Zack woke up in the middle of the night. Things just weren't making sense about everything he was hearing about his brother. It all seemed too aligned. First the strange meetings with Drew, then he got taken into the woods by some random high schooler, followed by him hanging out with Luke of all people, not to mention that kid in the hallway with the black eye after Luke came around the corner, and finally, Cody sitting by himself in the hallway―without his backpack. 

Is Cody lying to me? Cody never lies...

Zack sat up in his bed and looked across the room. His brother was fast asleep in his bed; one arm was hanging off of it while the other was stretched out in the opposite direction holding blankie. Normally Zack would never do this, but curiosity compelled him. He got up slowly and quietly, making sure not to make a sound, and walked over to his brother's bed. He looked at him for a second before he made his move.

He's hiding something...

He lightly grabbed Cody's arm and slid up his sleeve, making sure not to wake him up. He saw a tiny little scar which he could easily tell, had been bleeding some time in the near past. 

Oh my gosh,

Zack put his brothers arm back down and started to tiptoe back to his bed. But he stopped halfway.

Why didn't he tell me about that? 

He turned back around and inched towards Cody's bed again. Once he got there he stopped. With the touch of an angel, he pulled back the comforter that his brother was sleeping under. Cody flinched subliminally, but didn't wake up. Zack then gently grabbed the bottom button of his pajama shirt and unbuttoned it; that's when he saw it. A bruise that had probably been healing for two weeks approximately. 

What the heck, Cody? That should've been healed by nowwait a second...

Zack unbuttoned the next one, moving his way up when he saw his nightmares come true; after the third button he saw purple-ish circles that littered his brother's chest from the moonlight leaking through the window.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Zack couldn't take this―he didn't even bother to unbutton the shirt past the fourth button. He re-buttoned his shirt and ran back to his bed, diving under the covers.

Cody's in pain. A-And he's not telling me? Why Codes?  If I had known I would have never let this happenI would've been there...

Zack couldn't escape from his thoughts. It took him almost an hour to go to sleep, but he told himself, once he woke up, he will  find who did this to his twin brother.

* * *

When Zack walked into the school today, he was a different version of Zachary Martin. He was on the hunt. That morning, Cody had waken up acting like nothing was wrong, which hurt Zack. His own brother was choosing not to tell him that he was being hurt―badly. Once lunch time came around, Zack didn't go to the cafeteria; he instead went searching around the hallways for any clues on what was happening to his twin.

Meanwhile, in the lunchroom, Cody was eating his lunch with Tapeworm. He was grateful to have Tapeworm; It was way better than eating lunch alone. Zack never had that problem―eating alone. Usually, he sat with Drew and all of his friends; however, these past few weeks, Zack sat with his brother. Cody envied his brother for that―being able to fit in so easily. But today it was just Cody and Tapeworm. They were eating and talking when all of a sudden, Luke came up to the table and sat down.

"What's up Cody," Luke said. Tapeworm looked confused.

"Oh h-hey Luke, what's up?" Cody returned.

"I just wanna talk to you for a sec. Uh, Tapeworm, do you mind giving us a sec―you think you can go get Cody a water bottle or something?" Luke offered.