Chapter 1: "Marie"

-Something to someone

 01:43 ━━━━●───── 03:50

Three months passed since James and his family took me to their house in Atlanta. Sadie and Caleb are, as always, on a flight and won't be back until next month. Until then, James and I are on our own.

I sigh and let my body sink a little more into the swimming pool. James's hobby is swimming and that's the swimming pool he's been training in. It's midnight so there's nobody and I'm not supposed to be here. But who cares? It's not like somebody is concerned about what I'm doing.

The water rolling on my skin felt so nice I could forget I needed to float. I'm pretty sure if I open my eyes all I will be able to see will be water.

Tomorrow is my first day in school, one month after everyone else. Doctor Vidal and the new one, doctor Myers thought I should go to school because it might help me. Is it a good idea? No. Do I want to go to school? No. Am I a pessimist? Maybe.

But that's why I'm here: to eliminate all this negativity. My hand touches the wall and turns, sinking a little more into the swimming pool. As my feet get on the tiling, I remove my hair from my eyes and watch the reflection of the moon on the ground.

I push the wall and turn to see the surface. So bright and peaceful even though I'm here. Maybe I should stay here, at the bottom of the pool. Sadly I can't James would get in trouble for this.

Suddenly, someone dives into the water and swims toward me. Even though we're under the water I should be able to recognise his face if I knew him. He's getting really close... I should try to swim away. Too late. He grabs my arm and pulls me to the surface. After five long seconds, we finally reach the edge of the water.

"Are you okay?" He asks as he pulls us to the floating line.

"Why would you do that ?! Let go of me!" I scream.

"You were drowning! I just saved your life!"

"Saved my life? I was swimming, you stupid child!"

"Hey! You're the one swimming in the middle of the night."

I stare at him and quickly enough he looks away. Good. He passes over the floating line and swims to the wall. He gets out of the pool without any effort. Now that he's in the light offered by the moon I can see what he looks like. Have I seen him somewhere? Probably not, the only people I can recognize are Sadie, Caleb, and James. He looks at me...What?

" Come on, you can't stay in the pool," he shouts from the other side.

"Why not?"

"Well, first of all, the pool is supposed to be closed... actually, you're lucky it was me who found you: you'd be in much more trouble if it was an 'adult'."

I guess he's not wrong. If James came here and found me, I don't want to think about it. Oh, right I should go back now. Wait, what time is it? I hope it's not too late! I swim back to the wall and arrive close to the boy who 'saved' me. He gives me his hand and pulls me out of the water.

"Anyway, I'm Silver Henderson."

He looked at me. Urf, what does he have to smile like that? This is really creepy. But I like his name. Silver, it sounds good.

"What's your name?"

"Beautiful name, I'm 'Marie', just 'Marie'."

He laughs, what's so funny? He starts to walk to the stud on the other side of the pool.