Chapter 20: Silver Henderson

-I'll never forget you-

01:43 ━━━━●───── 03:50

We lay on the ground, looking at the stars—the radio of my dad's car playing Everybody wants to rule the world in the back. When we returned from my dad's store, I saw 'Marie' walking like a zombie. I asked him to stop and went straight up to her. She practically falls into my arms, holding her tears. I offered to come to my house but she asked me to take her back to this palace. My dad didn't ask any questions and drove us here. 

'Marie' didn't say a word since she entered the car. We've been here for almost an hour now and I didn't say anything either. If she wants to talk, she will speak: it's 'Marie', it's how she is. The music changes for Just the two of us and "Marie" sits up. Her eyes are still looking at the stars but I see her hand squeeze her wrist: she's debating if she's going to talk or not. Even if we're not friends, I can understand her by how she acts at least now I can. I sit up too and look at her. After two minutes, she finally look at me: she is going to talk. 

"Silver, am I a horrible person?" she asked. 

Horrible? It's a strong word, I wonder what makes her think that. Like she could read my thought, she explain her words: 

"I'm jealous, I think. When James is with his family ... it just reminds me of my case."

She sighs, retaining her tears. But I can hear her voice slowly breaking. 

"Silver, do you think I will maybe, one day, remember my family?  "

Her eyes are as shining as the stars in the sky above us. I grab her hand and gently press it. I'm not sure of how I should act but when my mother does this with me, it just warm my heart and I feel a bit better. I hope  it can do the same for her.

"You're not selfish, 'Marie', and yes, I'm sure you'll remember them one day. I'll make sure of it." 

She presses my hand and tears start falling from her eyes. I let her fall in my arms. I pass my hand in her hair doing my best to help her calm down but I feel like she needs to cry. Her tears fall onto my shirt and make me feel like they're burning my skin. It hurt. Why does it hurt like this?

She moves a little and looks at me, eyes in the eyes though she doesn't let go. 

"Wanna talk about it?" I ask. 

She nods and wipes her tears. 

"You know, Lindsey came back. She's nice, beautiful and when she talks about the army, it looks like she's passionate and that's what she was born for. It just ..."

She sighs, her fingers pressuring mines. 

"I haven't slept for two days."

"What? Why?"

"Since ... She came back because of something that happened to her, I don't what is it and I don't think I want to know. However, she keeps having a nightmare about it. She wakes up every night, screaming. Usually, someone goes calm her but now they are too tired and her screams don't wake them up."

She yawns. 

"So you're the one to wake up but she doesn't scream all night, right?"

"If no one goes see her, yes. It's like she sees her nightmare in her room like I see the other me: she's always here, hiding in the corner. She needs someone to stay by her side all night or they will come back. When I go see her, I disguise myself as someone else and when I'm with her, I seem to be part of the family. And it's weird because I'm not. Because I'll never be. I'm not a Miller. Even if James acts like my big brother and I considered him as one but, in the end I'm just a stranger-"