Chapter 22: "Marie"

-Here with me

 01:43 ━━━━●───── 03:50

Today, when I woke up next to Silver, I had a strange feeling. It wasn't like usual. My whole body was numb. My stomach and throat hurt. I'm not sure I can move. Do I even want to move? I mean I have to leave Silver's house at some point. I have to go back to the Miller- ugh it hurt again. My stomach just hurts every time I think of it. But I have to. I can't let Silver and the other lie to James. 

"Ah, you're here," says Silver's mom. "How are you, sweetie? Feeling a bit better?"

"Yes, thank you for last night...I was a bit down."

She smiles and walks to me. She kisses my forehead and warns me that breakfast is served. Yesterday, when I was telling her everything, she listened. I didn't realize but she was so careful of her every move. At the end, she told me comforting words and proposed to me to call her mom. I don't even call Sadie «mom» but, with her, I feel like I could do so. 

I leave Silver to join the rest of the family downstairs. Cole and the twins are at the table while Millie is watching the TV. I sit next to Laurence and serve myself some coffee. Doctor Myers would be mad but I need to stay awake. And it will kill the pain in my throat. 

"Marie! I'm glad you came back, that means we didn't scare you too much the first time," says Jess.

"Yeah, I guess," I try to smile and don't sound too rude.

"All of Silver's friends never came back after their first night here," continued Laurence. "Even Liam! That's a sign, Marie-!"

"You're part of this family," finish Jess. 

They laugh and Cole smiles. I can't help but smile a little too. Their joy is contagious I guess. They talk and sometimes they ask me something but it's like I'm talking with Liam: they make the conversation for everyone in this room. I take my second cup of coffee when Silver and his mom join us. He's already dressed up. 

"Good job, Silver!" Says Laurence.

"Thank you but for what?"

"For making a friend that accepts to come here." 

Silver looks confused. I think it's too early for him. Anyway I should prepare as well. Yesterday, when I was wandering around town, I didn't have other clothes. They gave me pajamas but for today I'll have to wear the same as yesterday. I'm missing some of my books for class. Of course, they are at James's house-. And I don't feel like taking a  shortcut there, right now. Guess I'll have to ask Reb to share her book with me.

"Ah, you're ready? Great, let's go."

I thanked his parents one last time and we left. We talk while walking to school. The feeling is still here and my throat still hurts. I don't like it. When I enter the building with Silver, I'm not sure of what I should do. Usually, I just make my way to the gymnasium and leave anyone who was with me but today I don't think I want to be alone with marie. But then again six people is a lot. Plus there is James...I have to talk to him. Come on, 'Marie', just a little effort and after you can go to the gymnasium. 

Silver grabbed my hand and dragged me inside the building. I don't think I have the right to say something then. We walk through the alley and he accelerates when Liam spots us. 

"Hey guys, what's up?"

"Wait a minute," says Max, "we're supposed to ask you this: you two disappeared yesterday. James called everyone!" 

"Oh yeah, we were at my father's store and James forgot about it."

Liam jumps on Silver and shakes him. I hope he didn't eat too much this morning.