Chapter 3: Part 3

"What do you mean there are people on the swings?"

Chuck slowly put Lucy back down, frowning now some as he followed Natalie's gaze over to the tree that was considered so special to their family, silence descending over the group of friends. In the distance, the giant tree sat on its hill, swings moving slightly in the breeze and yet... There was people on the swings. Or at the very least, things that looked like people.

"That's... O-Odd. Champ a-and Sadie w-would have b-barked if s-strangers got o-onto the farm..." Brandy murmured, getting up and helping his girlfriend get up too. While the men looked rather confused and mildly confused, Lucy and Natalie were gripping onto one another, both smiling their heads off.

Lucy out of nervousness, Natalie at the prospect at getting to fight something. "Come on, let's not stand around, let's go investigate!" She grinned and ran off to the tree, Brandy, Lucy and Chuck calling after her not to but regardless ran after her, not wanting to be left behind. The women slowed down to a walk as she got to the tree, staring up at the swings with a bit of confusion, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Well, those sure as hell aren't people."

On the swings sat humanoid, shadowy entities, their faces gaunt while their bodies were disproportionate, their big heads so heavy on their bodies that their heads drooped, giving them a hunched posture. They all slowly looked over at the group, almost curiously tilting their heads to stare at them, before collectively all dropping off of the swings onto the grass. They made no sound when they moved, slowly surrounding the group, Natalie slowly backing up to her friends and boyfriend, eyeing these odd creatures wearily.

"What are these?" She whispered, Brandy staring at them for a moment before saying, "I-I saw these o-once or t-twice as a k-kid... Pa c-called 'em Whispers. T-They don't make n-no noise and a-are reasonably harmless t-to us human folk."

Natalie slowly nodded some and waved to a smaller one infront of her, the Whisper returning the wave to her surprise. The women smiled some and took a step forward, bending down to give its head a soft pat, though chuckled a little awkwardly as her hand went straight through its head, the entire horde of Whispers suddenly freezing, all staring at Natalie. "Oh god what have I done now" she mumbled to herself, startling a little as the small Whisper started to make a giggling sound. Its small, shadowy grey body suddenly started to show pink blotches, each blotch growing till its entire body was different pastel shades of pink, the Whisper still giggling its head off and running circles on all fours around Natalie who let out a small, nervous and surprised laugh.

"Seems like you have competition Brandy' Chuck said with a smirk just to yelp as he was smacked over the back of the head by his big brother. "Y-You alright there s-sugar?" Brandy then said softly to his girlfriend who gave a small nod, the women still watching as this odd little pink creature ran circles around her.

Brandy didn't seem all that convinced but nodded some and sat down, Chuck clearing his throat a little. "You two have fun, I'll be going and taking Lucy back home... Don't need Dante trying to bite my head off" he said with no emotion in his voice, Lucy staring some at the couple too before she walked off in silence with Chuck, gently rubbing the gingers back. Brandy and Natalie stayed in silence for a good while, so long in fact it has started to grow dark, Brandy then being the one to gently push the Whisper away from Nat and place a hand on her shoulder.

She looked back at him, her eyes now a strange pinkish colour, causing her partner to frown before he slowly looked up at the tree line of the forest, then slowly pulling her into a hug, though his grip was much tighter as he forced her head into his shoulder, not allowing her to look behind her while he tipped his own hat lower to cover his eyes.

"S-Sugar, I'm g-gonna need you t-to keep quiet, a-alright?... Don't... M-Make... A sound... W-When I let go, y-you run, run as f-fast as you can, you h-hear me?... D-Dont l-look back and d-dont come back for me... If y-ya don't go now, they'll c-catch us b-both..."

Natalie was staring at her partners shirt where her face was pressed, eyes wide with a sudden fear, a cold shiver running down her spine. Before she could think, before she could answer, he let go and shoved her off down in the direction of the house, sending her stumbling. She managed to catch herself and start running, staring down at the grass as her thoughts were racing.

What was happening?

What did he mean by they?

Will he be okay?

Daring to look back, the sight she saw was something that'd forever haunt her. The Whispers she had so fondly been playing with before were swarming her partner, mouths open with thousands of sharp rows of teeth, screaming hellishly as they surged forward, the tree bending forward with a horrid groan as its branches reached out like hands for the man who stood steadfast on the hill.

"Brandy! God damn you, move!"

The sentence was screamed out of her mouth before she could stop herself, the Whispers attention suddenly pulled off of Brandy and to her. They moved past him and straight after her, a sudden heavy weight grabbing her and pulling her into the forest, pinning her down to the ground while pain burst through her gut as a sharp blade was forced into it, a hand forced over her mouth to muffle her screams.

"Oh I'm so sorry little rabbit..."

"You were doing so well though"

"Maybe next time you'll catch me..."

"Sweet dreams~"

"N-Natalie? Nat! W-Wake up sugar, you're h-havin' a bad dream! W-Wake up honey!"

Natalie woke up with a start, tangled up in her blankets, breathing heavy while her hair stuck to her forehead with sweat, Brandy sitting next to her and shaking her gently to wake her up. Slowly, she sat up and gulped, feeling her stomach, then her mouth before looking at Brandy and grabbing him, pulling him into a tearful hug. "H-Hey, sugar, what's wrong? I-It was just a d-dream honey... J-Just a bad dream..." He soothed as he hugged her back, gently rubbing her back as he let her cry into his chest, the man sighing softly as he then pressed a kiss to her forehead. "D-Do you wanna talk about it?..."

Natalie shook her head, burying her face in his chest as she still trembled, though slowly started to relax in his embrace. "T-Then that's alright... Y-You don't gotta talk a-about it to me sweetheart... T-Take your time... I-I made you some breakfast and s-some coffee, would y-you like some?" He offered softly and she slowly nodded, sitting some cuddled up to him as she took hold of the coffee she was handed, sipping on it, now finally calming down again.

"Sugar, y-you sure you're alright? Y-You seem mighty s-scared..."

Natalie slowly looked over at her boyfriend before taking a hold of one of his hands, gripping onto his hand firmly while she stared him dead in the eye, a cold sense of determination in her eyes while she stared up at the man she so loved."Brandy... We have to find that killer. And we have to make sure they never hurt or kill someone again."