Chapter 1.1 - Dinner

A/N: I'm not including Jess's disappearing act or him and Lorelais fight because I want them to get along lmao. I will also start to drift off of the original storyline around the third chapter, meaning Jess will not be leaving Stars Hollow any time soon.

I walked into the familiar environment of Luke's diner before sitting down with Lorelai and Rory. My parents were close with Lorelai some time ago, but they became not the best at uhm- well, parenting, and selfishly asked Lorelai to take me in whenever they weren't around, which was all the time, I saw them basically once a month, which meant I spent a lot of time at the gilmore house, Lorelai had become like a mother to me, and Rory like a sister. Even the people of stars hollow agreed, they called me the third Gilmore, and my parents had no idea because they were barely ever around, and if they were, they only yelled at me and hit me. I walked to the counter to order doughnuts for the three of us, but there was a line of boy scouts in front of me.
"Luke, can I get some doughnuts?" I asked before I was interrupted by one of the boys.
"I want fries, make them extra crispy." one said
"I want mine crispy too!"
"You didn't order fries." Another bickered.
"So?"
"You can't order crispy fries without ordering fries first," Luke said from behind the counter as he poured coffee.
"Why not?" the boy asked
"Because you can't make something crispy that doesn't exist."
"Why not?"
"Can someone get him away from me?" Luke said. I held back a laugh as I watched the scene play out
"Have some respect. these boys just completed their first leg of outdoor survival training." Taylor spoke.
"Meaning you had them sit under a tree and glue rocks together for two hours."
"You are a very jaded man Luke, what happened to you as a child?"
"Ooh I know the answer to that one, can I answer that?" I interrupted
"Please do," Taylor said with his usual attitude.
"Some creepy old man in short and knee socks made him sit under a tree and glue rocks together for two hours," I said as I noticed a boy lift up the doughnut lid.
"Bingo," Luke said as I noticed a boy lift up the doughnut lid. "Put that down"
"Why?"
"Because if you don't then you going under it."
"But I won't fit.
"Wanna try?"
"Hey, could I please get some doughnuts?" I shouted
"We were here first!"
"On the planet? You lose!" I said before the phone rang and all the boys started groaning and shouting as Luke walked over to it
"Pipe down! Please!" He shouted. I think that's the first time I heard him say please "uh huh. uh huh. What did you do?" He asked. I heard his tone get angrier "Excuse me? Are you serious?" I knew this wouldn't end anytime soon so I went behind the counter and grabbed a bag to get the doughnuts on my own
"Hey, Mr. Doose! She's not supposed to do that!" One of the boys said. I rolled my eyes and paid no attention to how that played out as I grabbed three doughnuts before Luke started shouting
"This is unbelievable! You will never change, will you? Okay fine. Do what you want, and make the arrangements. Now I'm working, we will finish this later." He said before slamming down the receiver. "Do you have a sister?" He asked me
"Uh, well no but-"
"I do!" One of the boys shouted.
"You have my sympathies."

----------------

I approached the Gilmore house to see multiple people in the window, including Sookie and Jackson. I knocked on the door and Lorelai answered it.
"Oh, Y/N!"
"Sorry, is now a bad time? My parents left for a trip without telling me..." I said.
"No, no, come in. Actually, we are having dinner with luke and his nephew!" She said as she stepped aside for me to come in
"Luke has a nephew?" I asked
"Yeah, remember when he was shouting in the cafe the other day? it's because his sister just sent the kid here without even asking him, and he's staying with Luke "until further notice" because he's been getting into trouble or something." She said, laughing a bit. "Rory's in her room, I think she studying." She said before walking to the kitchen. I nodded before walking to Rory's room to see her focused on her textbook.
"Hey Ro," I said. Ro was a nickname I came up with as a joke once, but I guess it just stuck
"Oh, hey, parents left?" She asked, I nodded as I set down my bag on my bed. Lorelai and Rory were too sweet and had literally given me half of the bedroom, I had my whole book collection here on a tall bookcase, honestly, I probably had read and owned more books than Rory next to the bed they bought me, and it wasn't even a blowup mattress, it was an actual bed. I cried when they showed me my half of the room. I unpacked my stuff before seeing what Rory was up to.
"Chilton is really squeezing every last bit of knowledge into your brain, huh?" I spoke as I looked at the textbook that had at least fifty words I didn't understand. She chuckled a bit before answering
"Yeah, no breaks for me." She said, Lorelai then popped her head into the room.
"Rory, Y/n, they're here." She said before walking off. we both turned around to see a fairly tall guy with dark brown hair and eyes wearing a navy blue zip-up.
"Coming!" Rory said before turning to the guy. "Hey, I'm Rory." She said,
"Hey."
"I'm Y/N," I said,
"Yeah, I figured. Luke told me about you," his eyes locked with mine a bit before he walked into the room, He then spotted my bookcase and walked over to it "Woah, aren't we hooked on phonics" He said, I let out a small chuckle.
"I don't know if you can tell, but I like to read." I said as he looked through my books, I then saw Rory get up to leave and shot her a 'what the hell are you doing, don't leave me here alone with a guy' look, and she gave me 'I am clearly a third wheel, bye' look back. I rolled my eyes before turning back to, wait what was his name? Whatever, I'll figure it out later, its too late to ask. "Do you read?"
"Not much. My name is Jess, by the way."
"What? I didn't- I uhm, I knew that already. I- I heard Lorelai say it." Did I really just stutter? Damn... He looked at me for a bit longer than a second before smirking
"Sure you did." He then took a book of the shelf and opened it
"I could lend you that if you want, its really good." I said.
"No, thanks."
"Hey, we need to get away from the lemons so we're moving to the living room." Lorelai said as she poked her head into the room
"Be right there." I said
"Do these windows open?" He asked,
"Yeah, you just... open them,"
"Great lets go." where?
"Go where?"
"Bail." what? did he really just say that?
"No."why the hell would I bail
"Why?"
"Its tuesday night in stars hollow. There isn't anywhere to bail to. The 24-hour convenience store closed an hour ago."
"Well then we can walk around, or sit and stare into space."
"No. Sookie just made a bunch of really good food, and I'm really hungry. Even if it doesn't seem like it, you'll enjoy it, or alteast the food. Trust me."
"I just met you."
"Well don't I look trustworthy?"
"You're wearing a Bowie t-shirt, I do like Bowie."
"Exactly, lets go."

Chapter two will be up soon, but I have to edit it before I publish