Chapter 1.18 - Small Envelope

It had been a month since Jess arrived in stars hollow. Jess had ended up getting a room for the night somewhere else and hadn't run into Lorelai since. However, he ended up going back today after getting kicked out of where he currently was.

Y/N POV

I walked into the house after school, exhausted from all the tests I had taken, when the phone rang. I answered it, recognizing the number as the independence inn. 

"Hey," I answered casually thinking it was Lorelai. 

"Hello?" A familiar French accent spoke 

"Oh, Michel! Is everything okay at the inn?" I asked

"I am not sure, there is a strange delinquent boy who says he needs to speak to you urgently, I really do not want to help him but he insists if I do he will leave me alone," He spoke, I rolled my eyes knowing who this 'delinquent boy' was.

"Tell him I'm dying of AIDS," I said, 

"I cannot tell him that! Please just speak to him, I can not deal with him any longer!" He whined. I groaned before giving in, there was shuffling on the other side of the phone before I heard his voice. 

"Hi-"

"Hi, bye, we had a conversation, now leave Michel alone!" I said, about to hang up before shouting. 

"Wait! I just wanna talk, I'm sorry, I didn't commit to you and I'm sorry, just please let me prove to you that I can commit to this, to us." He spoke, and he sounded sincere. I wanted to believe him so badly, but I knew I couldn't. I missed him, our bickering that now that I think about was really just flirting, the way he jabbed me in the side whenever I said something he didn't like, the way he would snatch my books to get my attention but still use his thumb as a bookmark so I wouldn't lose the page I was on, despite that, I hated him so much, but did I really hate him?

"Prove it," I spat, knowing I could give him the simplest task and he wouldn't complete it

"How?" He asked 

"Graduation is in a month, I know you aren't graduating, so just show up, congratulate me. I'll even get you the ticket,"

"Easy," I rolled my eyes knowing it was a lie, and wondering if I should even bother with him anymore.

~

A week had passed, and Rory and I had gotten our college letters, there were a few small and a few big, which probably meant we both got into a few and a few we didn't get into. I grabbed the letters from Rory's hand as Lorelai and I sat around the dining table. I read the name on the first one, 

"Rory..." I handed a big one to her, "Rory..." There was only one big envelope left. "And Rory..." I took a deep breath as I looked at the letters I had left in my hand. Just small ones. I didn't get into any of them, I didn't bother opening them and sulking. "Congrats Ro'!" I exclaimed. She gave me a big Rory smile before looking at the small envelopes in my hand. 

"You gonna open them?" She asked. I shrugged before opening them, they all said the same thing.

"Dear Ms. L/N," I read "We regret to inform you that your college application has been has been declined"

 L/N," I read "We regret to inform you that your college application has been has been declined"

I didn't get into any of the colleges I had applied to, meanwhile, Rory had gotten into all of them. Was I surprised? No, but was I sad? Yes, a bit. A lot.

~

A month had passed quicker than I expected, and god was I unprepared. All I had done was get the tickets and give them to the people I wanted to invite. I had two days until graduation, and right now I was sitting in Luke's diner with Rory and Lorelai, not paying attention to anything being said because I was too stressed trying to figure out what to do with my life. Would Jess come? If he did then what would I do? And what if he didn't? What am I gonna do about college? Am I gonna be one of those people who didn't go to college and whose biggest accomplishment is being an employee of the month at Walmart? I wouldn't worry about that now though. I just need to graduate, that's all that matters.