Chapter 1.4 - Not Even a Date

I am currently trying on white dresses with Rory. No, I'm not getting married. They're for the daughters of the American revolution debutante ball. How did I end up here? Well, when my parents heard Rory would be coming out, they decided to force me to go too. I came out of the dressing room with a *Enter a description of a deb gown you like*
"Oh my god, that one looks so good!" Rory said.
"You think?" I asked. She nodded eagerly. "I dunno. It's a bit lose in some areas."
"That's fine, my mom can totally fix it for you." She said.
"Wait, I have to try it with the gloves," I said before grabbing the white elbow length gloves from the dressing room and putting them on. I looked in the mirror before coming back out of the dressing room with a big smile on my face. "Yeah, I think it's the one," I said. "Your turn now!" I said.

---------------------------

Rory and I were reading through the handbook, I had already found one problem, every girl's father was supposed to walk her down the stairs. My father was unavailable for the next five months.
"Ugh, who am I gonna get to walk me? My dad is in Paris for the next month, after that he's going to Berlin for a month, and then Oslo for two! " I groaned
"Don't worry, I'm sure we can figure something out." She thought for a second "Oooh ooh ooh, I know!" she said with a mischievous look on her face
"What?"
"You should get Taylor to walk you." She spoke, I fake gagged and she burst out into laughter.
"Seriously, what do I do? I can't not go, my mom would actually kill me." I said. Lorelai then walked into the room.
"What's the problem?" She asked, Rory, handed her the book, and pointed to the line in the book that was causing all my life problems. "Well, my mom is friends with the host of the deb ball, I'm sure she could try to make an arrangement,"
"Really?" I asked
"Yeah, I'll ask her tomorrow, knowing her, she's asleep by now," Lorelai said.
"Oh my god, thank you, thank you!" I said
"No problem." She said as she sat in the armchair in the corner of the living room. Rory and I continued to read through the handbook.
"Oh for Christ's sake!" I shouted. "I think the universe is telling me I shouldn't go."
"What now?" Both Gilmore asked at the same time
"I need a date," I complained,
"What about Jess? You two seem to be getting along well." Lorelai suggested,
"no, I can't do that. We're just friends, good friends, I wouldn't want to make it awkward..." I said as my face turned red
"You like him, don't you?"
"W-what, I never said that."
"It's pretty obvious, plus, I've seen how you stare at him." Rory chimed in.
"Wait wait, is it a "He's so hot, I want to make out with him" Kind of stare, or is it a "This guy is so great, I wish I could just ask him out already," kind of stare?" Lorelai asked.
"It's more of an "I'm falling for this guy so much. He's so amazing" Kind of stare," Rory explained
"Damn Y/n. You should really ask him to be your date," Lorelai said.
"You guys are both crazy!" I said as I flopped back onto the couch.

---------------------------

"So, your parents found out Rory is going to the fancy ball, and they're forcing you to go, but you need a date and you don't have a boyfriend, so you want me to wear a fancy suit with fancy gloves, to accompany a pretty girl wearing a fancy dress in a fancy building for a fancy ball?" He asked. I nodded, not noticing the fact that he called me pretty. "Absolutely not."
"Come on Jess, please! It's not even a date! I just literally don't have any other male friends!" I pleaded. He gave me a side eye "Please?" I asked one more time. He narrowed his eyes as he looked at me from the other side of a counter.
"Fine," He mumbled.
"Thank you! I've gotta go now!" I spoke as I got up from the stool I was sitting on the make my way back home. I opened the door to see Rory and Lorelai in the living room "He said yes!"
"Hooray! First date with Jess!" Rory said
"Well, he kind of only said yes because I said it wasn't even a real date, and it's just because he's ''literally my only male friend'' so uhm..." I trailed off a bit
"Well, I feel like that's not why he said yes," Lorelai said.
"What? No, he hates the idea,"
"He hates the idea of a fancy ball, but does he hate the idea of going to a fancy ball with you? I don't think so,"