Plans of Action

Elise could truly sense the urgency in the room. Even though she now had the attention of everyone now seated about the table, it wouldn't last for long. She knew that what she needed to tell them was very important, but she needed to be brief, nonetheless. She felt it best to get straight to the point.

"Not long after the Beast showed up on my world—my Earth—we became aware of his ability to play on people's fears to get them to do his bidding. He was very effective at it, but that was just the beginning. We soon learned that he could enter a person's mind and take it over completely."

"We already know about this ability, Elise," the Doctor interjected, "We saw that with Professor Umbridge. I also know that it controlled the minds of around fifty or so Ood on Krop Tor, not to mention the archeologist boy."

Elise had no idea what an Ood was, but now was not the time for her to ask questions. She made a mental note to ask the Doctor about it later.

"No Doctor," she continued, "I'm not talking about one mind or even fifty. The Beast can take control of thousands of minds, at once. He can lead entire armies into battle by the power of his will. Or he can hide thousands of spies in the ranks of his enemies."

Elise explained how this discovery created chaos on her world. Because of the Beast's intimate knowledge of the people he possessed, it was impossible to distinguish between those who were taken by his influence and those who were not. Paranoia led many, even dear friends and family, to turn against each other.

"In the end, our bloodiest conflicts were against each other." Elise grieved. "And the Beast just sat there and laughed as we slaughtered ourselves by the thousands."

The others in the room stood in silence as Elise recomposed herself. The Doctor reached over and placed his arm on her shoulder to offer comfort.

"I was afraid to share this with you at first," she said after a moment. "I was afraid that you might also turn on each other and end up like so many of my friends."

"I am deeply sorry for what you suffered, Elise," Professor McGonagall consoled, "and I promise you that we will not allow that to happen here!"

"Those giants and the other creatures in the forest, they did not come to follow the Beast," Elise warned, this time with a growing trace of anger in her voice. "They are there to become the beast."

She then issued another warning, "On my world the Beast was in control of mere humans. But here—if I may borrow from an inscription I once read on an ancient map of earth—here there be monsters."

"What did the Beast say?" The Doctor asked himself, trying to recall the exact words, "I shall become manifest. I shall walk in might. My Legions shall swarm across the worlds."

The Doctor considered those words for a moment and then turned to Elise.

"So, the Beast really had no interest in your world at all," he postulated, "it just wanted to get here where it could find the Eye along with an entire army of monsters—his Legions if you will."

"Yes," Elise confirmed, "In the end it seems that his entire campaign, and all the destruction it caused, had only one purpose: to get him to Cardiff in Wales, and inside of a place called the Torchwood Institute. Apparently, he needed something there to transport himself here."

"Torchwood? the Doctor asked. This new piece of information had clearly caught him by surprise. "You have Torchwood in your world?"

By now, Professor Snape had reached the limit of his patience.

"Unless Miss Winchester has additional information she wishes to share with us," he interposed in a sneering voice that plainly reflected his irritation, "I suggest that we move on to the task at hand. We must secure Valsillon's objects of power before the Beast is able to obtain them."