Farewell To Fond Memories

The main courtyard had never been so crowded as over a hundred Hogwarts students and staff gathered around the TARDIS to bid farewell to the Doctor and Elise. The big, blue box at the center of the square had drawn the attention and curiosity of so many for almost a week now, but with everything that had happened, it seemed as though it had been months.

Just minutes ago, Elise had introduced the Doctor to Growley, who was still very excited after having learned that his beloved master was still alive. Growley had greeted the Doctor with such enthusiasm that his trench coat was now covered with gobs of sticky, invisible fur which only Elise could see. Not wanting to ruin the moment, Elise made a mental note that she should probably mention that to the Doctor later.

Captain Jack had already returned to Cardiff, and to his own time as well, to be there when the effects of the Doctor's plan propagated its way to 2008. All the members of the Order of the Phoenix had returned to say farewell to those at whose side they had fought so bravely together.

"It was good meeting you, Doctor," Moody said as he suspiciously scanned the Doctor one last time with his magical eye. "However, if you're ever in the neighborhood and wish to visit us again, I do recommend that you put on a different face first," he said, then let out a hardy laugh.

Professor Trelawney seemed to almost drift right out of the crowd as she wafted over to Elise with a cup of tea in her hand.

"I see death and pain looming in your future, and you are in grave danger!" she said in a mystical, almost ethereal voice as she gazed down into the cup. Then she gave Elise a long, awkward, embrace. "You be sure to visit your Auntie Sybil from time to time dear," she said. "But try not to hex me with something too terrible next time."

"I promise," Elise replied.

Kendra Nott came forward next, with Lee at her side, and once again threw her arms about Elise in a tight embrace. "I wish you didn't have to go, Elise." she said as tears began to fall.

"Me either, Kendra," Elise said, starting to get choked up now as well. "I'll visit you again, I promise." Elise wholly intended to keep that promise, though she knew that things would be entirely different then.

Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks also stepped up to say goodbye, followed by Sirius Black, who took Elise's hand and shook it respectfully. Once again, Elise could sense the aura of foreboding around him. She was certain that he would soon pass through death, but her face gave not the slightest hint of her premonition.

"The best of luck to you as well, Sirius," she said with her warmest smile.

"I'm telling you, she really fancies me," he whispered to Lupin, who placed a brotherly hand on Black's shoulder as the three of them walked away.

Not at all fond of large crowds, Professor Snape stood across the courtyard, nodding approvingly when he saw that the Doctor had noticed him in the distance. He was going to miss his new friends, though not for long if his suspicions concerning what was about to happen were in fact true.

At length, everyone had returned to the crowd until only Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall stood in front of the TARDIS with the Doctor and Elise beside them. Using the magic of his wand to amplify his voice, Dumbledore began speaking to the gathering, which quickly quieted down so to hear him.

"Some of you may be aware that the Doctor and Elise Winchester have been our guests here at Hogwarts for the last few days."

Patches of cheers and applause erupted throughout the crowd. Still, there were others who glanced about, bewildered over who these two people were, and present in the courtyard only because they had been instructed to be there.