Ultimatum

Toby was alone. He could feel the freezing cold of the night winter air, but it did not bother him. This was one of the few benefits of being the unwitting host of a demon. The Beast, which had ruled over his mind and body for the last few thousand years, had left Toby to himself to deliver an ultimatum tonight to people he yearned to call friends. Yes, he was completely alone.

To the west and behind the castle, Toby could see the last lingering vestiges of orange and yellow from the sunset nearly a half-hour ago as twilight set in. It was a beautiful sight, and he was certain it would be the last sunset he would ever see. After tonight, the Beast would have no further use for him.

Toby did not know how the end would come, only that it would, and the thought brought him comfort. He turned about to look behind him and saw stars coming into view in the darkening horizon. The half-moon had yet to rise. He remembered a similar moon-less twilight a few months back as he lay on a hilltop just outside of Cardiff, watching the stars come up with Elise.

The Beast had left Toby alone that night as well, hoping that he would be able to charm Elise who, at the time, knew nothing of the monster inside him. His attempts to romance her had failed embarrassingly that night. Elise was only a friend, and Toby Zed was her project. Still, the Beast wanted her badly, so Toby was compelled to keep trying no matter how humiliating it would become.

With his back to the gate Toby did not notice the nearly silent arrival of four individuals behind him until one of them reached out, gripped his arm tightly and spun him around. Toby's heart leapt. It was Elise. Her intense golden-green eyes stared deeply into his own, and a feeling of warmth surged through him as she placed her other hand on his shoulder.

"He's clean for the moment," Elise said as she let go of Toby and let her arms drop to her side. "The Beast is doesn't possess him."

Toby's heart sank. He glanced behind Elise and saw the other three that had accompanied her. One of them held up a wand which was illuminated at the tip, providing additional light in the surrounding area as the twilight glow began to fade. That one he recognized as Professor Snape, who had earlier delivered the Beast's prize. The second was Albus Dumbledore, though he only knew that from the few memories the Beast had shared with him. The third person he recognized immediately from his own past.

"I remember you," the Doctor said, staring into his face alit by the glow of the wand. "You're Toby Zed, aren't you? You were the archeologist from Sanctuary Base 6."

"Yes, Doctor," Toby replied meekly. "It's good to see you again."

"And you've carried the Beast around inside of you all this time?" The Doctor asked.

"Yes," he replied sadly, "though I think it was actually the Beast that did the carrying...or rather, the dragging would be more like it."

"But it's not with you now?" Dumbledore asked. "Did you escape?"

"Naw, I wouldn't think so" the Doctor cut in. "I would imagine the Beast hopes we might let down our guard if he sent Toby alone, as himself. Am I right?"

"Something like that," Toby replied, then glanced back at Elise. "Elise...I-" he began to say but was interrupted by Professor Snape who quickly stepped forward in front of Elise and pushed his wand close to Toby's face, which shined brightly under the glow.

"Tell us the message the Beast sent you to deliver," Snape demanded.

"Professor Snape," Toby said, less timid than before. "The master was truly impressed by your ability to free yourself from his grip and is quite perplexed by how you continue to remain out of his reach. He was hoping that you might share your secrets with him."

He doesn't know about the mandrakes, Elise thought.

"Tell him that my secrets are my own," Snape snapped back at Toby, "Now, the message!"

"Very well then," Toby said after a brief pause. All pretense of timidity then dropped from his countenance as he delivered his master's ultimatum in a clear, confident voice.

"Elise Winchester is to surrender herself and accompany me back to the camp of my master. Then you will surrender the castle and everything within it to our legions."

"And if we refuse?" Elise said defiantly.

"Then my master will command his legions to march on Hogwarts and raze it to the ground," said Toby. "Neither you, nor anyone within the castle walls will be spared."

Toby's voice became softer as he appealed directly to the woman he hoped would one day forgive him and perhaps even think kindly of him again. Professor Snape once again moved to intervene, but Elise kindly waved him off. If this were the real Toby, she wanted to hear him speak, perhaps even for the last time.

"Elise, please, please do this," he pled. "My master has promised everyone's safety. No one needs to die today." This was a lie of course, and everyone knew it.

None of the Beast's demands came as a surprise to anybody except for one thing. The Doctor couldn't help but noticed that Hogwarts itself had been unexpectedly thrown into the deal.

"So why is your master suddenly so interested in an old castle?" The Doctor asked. "And why all the touchy-feely negotiations? Your master has the Eye of Chaos now, so why does he need us to agree to anything when he can just take whatever he wants?"

All at once Toby could feel his freedom starting to slip away. His master was apparently displeased with the direction the negotiations were going and was ready to take over the reins.

Toby was filled with intense sorrow and his heart ached, for he knew this would be the final time he would ever face Elise as himself. In a few seconds the Beast would once again rule over him with absolute sovereignty, and this time it would be for the remainder of his life, which he guessed would be only a few hours. He gathered what strength he had left and uttered the last words he would ever speak from his own heart.

"I am so sorry, Elise," he said, tears welling up in his eyes. "For everything."

Elise stared into Toby's soft eyes, and for a brief moment, she could feel the anguish of his soul. Suddenly his face suddenly became twisted and terrible and became filled with frightening rage. Strange markings appeared across his cheeks and forehead. His voice was as the terrible howl of a thousand damned souls.

"I am the Bringer of Despair, the Deathless Prince, the Bringer of Night. I shall walk in might. My Legions shall swarm across the worlds!"

Two wands and a buzzing screwdriver were now fixed upon the ranting man. Elise stood calmly, unaffected by the display because she knew that Toby was not a threat to her. A whirlwind of fire engulfed Toby's body and then vanished, taking the young man along with it.

"He really needs to come up with some new catch phrases," Elise said after a few moments of silence.

Not long after they had lowered their wands (and screwdrivers) they began to hear distance shouting. The sky to the north became alit with brilliant flares and the flashes of magical curses.

There was a sudden loud pop—much louder than your typically apparition—and Alastor Moody appeared by the gate with Professor Hagrid in tow, who was looking a little dazed. Hagrid had never properly learned the art of apparition and was not at all accustomed to it. It was only with the assistance of Madeye Moody that he was able to do it at all.

"Professor Dumbledore, sir," he said, breathing heavily, "They've jus started attacking out o' the forest from the north."

"We are really in need of your help now Albus," Moody added.

No one looked surprised or shocked. In fact, the common theme on everyone's faced seemed to be one of finally, we're to it.

"Well," said Dumbledore, "it seems our little war has just begun."