Epilogue

Two Years later...

It was a cold, stormy night outside. Kendra Nott had just returned to her apartment after spending half of the night investigating strange magical artifacts for her employer, the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. The rain had just started falling about an hour ago and had since grown into quite a tempest. She was very happy to be home now next to her warm, potbelly stove.

Kendra removed her soaking wet stockings and hung them up by the stove. Then she placed her wand on her dresser and reclined back into her favorite chair where her cat, Fidget the Third, curled up on her lap and began purring.

"There's no way we're going back out in that nasty old storm again, are we Fidget?" she said in a baby-like voice as she scratched the contented cat on the back of the neck.

All at once there came a loud wrapping on her window from the outside. It was her owl, Bathilda, named after her best friend in school who had perished heroically during Voldemort's attack on Hogwarts years ago. Kendra threw open the window and the wet, sopping bird flew in and landed on her favorite chair, where she shook rigorously to dry her feathers.

"Thanks a lot, stupid bird!" She said, and then noticed Fidget slowly stalking the owl out of the corner of her eye. "No Fidget!" she shouted, and the mischievous feline scurried away.

Kendra searched Bathilda for mail and found a small cardboard box anchored to her collar. She removed the box and read aloud the name of the sender written on the side of it.

"Rose Smith," it said. The name rang a bell, but she couldn't quite place it.

Inside of the box was a small, glass vial containing what Kendra instantly recognized to be the silvery strands of a memory extracted for a pensieve. Kendra was well aware that dangerous memories were always circulating about in this fashion, but she had also been trained on how to deal with them as part of her job. She therefore felt safe enough to open it.

No sooner had she done so than the gossamer wisps of old memories poured out of the vial and entered her nostrils, passing up into her brain. Kendra fell back into her chair and appeared to be sleeping for several minutes until she awoke suddenly. On her face was a look of shock, and determination.

"Elise Winchester? In trouble?" she shouted, "I've got to find her!"

In no time, Kendra had donned a dry pair of socks and poured an entire box of cat food into a large bowl on the floor, right next to an even larger bowl she had just filled with water. Then she snatched up her wand from off the dresser and darted out the door of her apartment. It was still a cold, stormy night outside, but she didn't care. Her best friend, Elise, needed her.

First, she would have to get some help, and Kendra knew exactly who she was going to recruit.

Next, she needed to hunt down the one person in the universe who would be able take her to Elise and make it possible to save her.

Kendra needed to find The Doctor

🎉 You've finished reading The Wizard's Guide to Timelords and Other Demons Book 1: The Forgotten War 🎉