The Prophecy

"You seem troubled, Severus. What is the matter?"

"I have done a terrible thing," he replied into the darkness.

"Can you tell me what it is that you have done?"

"I cannot, because you will not forgive me."

"Tell me, Severus."

"Please don't make me," he pleaded.

"Tell me now, Severus, and I promise to forgive you."

A few moments passed in silence as the darkness slowly faded. Severus Snape lay on his back in a field of green grass, staring up at the sky. He was uncertain where he was or even if he were alive or dead, though he hoped it was neither. The young girl beside him was also gazing up into the sky. She had the most beautiful, angelic voice and Severus was compelled to answer her, though the words nearly stuck in his throat, choking him as he spoke them.

"I let you die, Lily," he said, and his eyes filled with tears.

Snape now recognized where he was. It was a small park near his parent's old home in Spinner's End, where he and Lily Evans would sometimes go to spend time alone, away from her aggravating older sister, Petunia. They had had many wonderful and insightful conversations here—at least for children. The memory hurt so much that his soul writhed in pain from the grief. Severus Snape began to sob.

"I could have saved you," he struggled to say through the tears, "but I was a coward!"

The last time Snape had experienced this grief, it had been followed by an overpowering rage and hatred. It was hatred for all things living, but most especially for himself. From that moment, he had felt his own spirit drain from him, until he was only an observer in his own mind, swallowed up completely by the will of another—the Beast!

Lily sat up and put her hand on his shoulder. "The Beast no longer holds any power over you, Severus," she said. But if you cannot free yourself of this grief, he will return...and you will not be able to withstand him.

"I don't deserve to live!" He cried.

"You must live, Severus." Lily said, "There is something very important I need you to do."

"Anything," said Snape, still sobbing.

Lily gripped both of his shoulders in her hands and stared straight into his eyes. Snape stared back at her, recalling how beautiful her eyes were. Surprisingly, this had quite a calming effect on him. Lily waited a few moments until he had stopped sobbing. Then she spoke,

"You must live so that you can give your life to save my son."

Snape's face grew instantly sober. Until this point, he had not even considered whether or not he was in a dream. He had suddenly realized that what he was experiencing couldn't possibly be real, even though it seemed far more real than any dream he had ever had.

"In two years' time, Lord Voldemort will have you killed," she said solemnly. "Not out of anger or revenge, but simply because your life will have become inconvenient to him. My son's face will be the last thing you see."

"I'm sure he'll find the experience...satisfying." Snape said in a sarcastic tone. "Sadly, your son is not very fond of me, Lily."

"My son will revere your sacrifice and honor your name!" she said, indignant over Snape's sarcasm. "In the end, he will know everything that you have done for him. And your debt to me will be paid in full."

Lily's words sank deep into Snape's heart. He knew it was only a dream—albeit it a very realistic one—but what she had said touched him deeply and he somehow knew it was true. He had spent the last five years protecting her son and would continue to do so, without hesitation or doubt. Even if it would ultimately lead him to his death, he would do it...for her. He suddenly felt ashamed for his cynical response moments ago.