War Drums

The Hogwarts Hospital Wing was quite abuzz with activity as Madam Pomfrey and her assistants scurried about, treating students for cuts, bruises, and other minor injuries that they had received throughout the night.

On a table at the center of the room sat a beautiful glass casket wrapped by an ornately carved, oaken frame. Resting peacefully inside it was the body of Elise Winchester, a soft, blue aura around it being the only suggestion of the charm that kept her body preserved while it awaited the memorial to be held in just a few hours' time. It had been Professor Snape's idea to commission the casket, and the school carpenters had outdone themselves in completing the finely-crafted case in less than an hour—using magic, of course.

Professors Snape and McGonagall, together with Kendra, Bathilda and Lee Jordan, stood beside the casket, gazing at Elise. Although Lee had barely even met Elise, he had come to comfort Kendra, holding her close with one arm as she wiped tears from her face with the soiled sleeve of her shirt.

"It's not fair!" she declared through the tears. It had only been less than a week since she and Elise had met, but in that time, Kendra had come to regard her as truest, most loyal friend.

"Life is never fair, Miss Nott," Professor Snape said, attempting to offer comfort. "The senseless loss of a dear friend is always a pox to the soul."

"Well thank you, Professor Snape, for those heartfelt words of reassurance," Professor McGonagall said scathingly as she placed her arms around both Kendra and Bathilda, who had both started crying even harder now. "There, there now," she consoled, casting a sharp glare at Snape. "Everything will be OK."

Lee released Kendra and stepped over beside the Potion Master.

"I thought it was a nice sentiment," he commented, but Professor Snape only grunted in reply.

A deafening roar suddenly filled the room. It came from somewhere outside the castle and rattled the ground beneath them. It was the second time the sound had come in the last half-hour.

"What in blazes is that?" shouted Snape as he instinctively produced his wand from his pocket and poised himself for an attack.

"Two Tornado GR1B's out of Lossiemouth flying low-level reconnaissance," said a voice from behind them. It was Captain Jack, who had just arrived to pay his respects to Elise. "It seems Skynet caught quite a fireworks show around here this morning."

"I haven't the slightest idea what any of that means, Mr. Harkness," said Snape, loathingly. Even though he had only met Jack officially a short time ago, Snape had already decided that he did not approve of him, at all.

"What it means is that your little school and its quaint, medieval castle are no longer a secret," Jack replied. He hadn't meant to speak so harshly, but there was something about Severus Snape that seemed to draw it out of him.

"But Hogwarts is protected by charms that hide the school grounds from Muggle technology," McGonagall said.

"At about five o'clock this morning, what could only be described as a nuclear bomb cleared several square miles of dense forest in an instant," Jack explained. "I'm pretty sure that got somebody's attention regardless of what charms you may have in place to prevent that."

"Hogwarts exposed to the Muggle world?" McGonagall gasped. "This could be catastrophic! I must inform Professor Dumbledore immediately." She released the two girls, apologizing to them for her hasty departure, then turned and walked briskly away.

Professor McGonagall had not even reached the main door when the entire Hospital Wing was thrown into a frenzy by a sudden rush of strong wind that sent papers and large piles of refuse swirling into the air. The hospital staff scampered about frantically trying to capture papers while dodging small items that were being blown off the tables.