Facing Trelawney

Elise was dreading this moment. Professor Trelawney had been so kind to her while she thought Elise was her niece. She was a bit strange at times but still.... She deserved to be treated better. At the very least she deserved an apology. Elise arrived at the entrance door to Trelawney's apartment adjacent to the Divination classroom. The door was closed so she knocked twice, softly.

"Come in my dear," spoke a flowing, mystical voice from within.

Elise was surprised at how nervous she was as she gripped the tarnished iron handle and pushed gently. The wooden door creaked loudly as it opened. She entered the small flat and closed the door behind her. Professor Trelawney was sitting on an oak rocking chair, an old, weathered shawl draped across her legs.

"Please have a seat," she said, gesturing towards a padded wooden chair across from her. The chair looked old and a little rickety. She hoped it would hold together when she sat in it.

Elise slowly stepped over and carefully lowered herself into the chair. Professor Trelawney leaned forward in her seat, focused and attentive. This is so awkward, Elise thought. The tension in the air was palpable. However, judging by Trelawney's calm demeanor, she didn't seem to notice it.

"I just wanted to apologize for..." Elise searched for the right word to use, but only one would properly fit this occasion, "for deceiving you" she said, feeling deeply ashamed.

"It was wrong of me. You have been so kind to me and..."

"Water under the bridge, my dear," Trelawney interrupted.

What? Elise thought, surprised. She had expected a bit more anger in Trelawney's first sentence, followed at least by a good tongue-lashing. This, however, was not expected.

Trelawney continued. "I spoke with Professor Dumbledore, and he explained things to me."

Elise wasn't sure if should be relieved or concerned.

"He didn't tell me everything, but it was enough to know that he trusts you and that's good enough for me."

Elise's anxiety faded. Dumbledore trusts me? She thought.

"Professor Dumbledore..." she began, then corrected herself, "...Albus has always had a soft spot for lost souls." She sat up straight in her chair.

"Take that Potter boy for instance!" she said with a hint of frustration that quickly dissolved, "and, well...me."

Sybil Trelawney seemed lost in her thoughts for a moment, perhaps even a bit melancholy. She leaned back in her chair. Her face exhibited a shallow grin, and her head was tilted slightly. Elise felt it was time to leave. Besides, she had her own problems to deal with.

Dumbledore trusts me.

She considered the thought. It made what she needed to do all the more difficult. But she could not allow anyone to be harmed by what she knew she had to do.

"Well, I'll just pack up my stuff and get going then," she said, rising from her chair. I am very grateful for your kindness, and sorry for..."

"I won't hear of it!" Trelawney said, snapping back into a more cheerful state.

"Dear child, she continued, softly, "I don't need the gift of divination to tell that something is troubling you."

Elise sunk back into her chair. Had she been that easy to read?

"I am not one to pry," she said, "but whatever it is, you must share it with Professor Dumbledore." Her voice then became more intense as it drifted into a higher level of mysteriousness.

"And though he does not himself possess the Inner Eye, he is still wise. He will know the right thing to do."

Elise smiled. Regardless of what anyone else thought of Sybil Trelawny, she really cared for this remarkable little woman. She could be eccentric and awkward and, at times, rather obnoxious and quite annoying. But she was also kindhearted, tender, forgiving...and fragile.

"As for where you should stay," Trelawney continued, smiling softly, "you are welcome to remain with your Auntie Sybil for as long as you are able to endure her."

With smiles beaming on their faces, the two considered each other for a brief moment before bursting into laughter. Then they hugged. A tear trickled down Trelawney's cheek and onto Elise's shoulder.

For Elise, it was the perfect ending to a less-than-perfect day.