Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER SONG: VA VA VIS BY FLORINA

January flew by in a blur. Between press conferences, award shows, brand management and checking in with his foundation and her going through her final semester in school and helping Pierre get ready for the team's next stage in their UCL games-the round of 16 matches-they got little time to see each other outside of work. But not being able to see each much during work hours didn't stop them from communicating in other ways.

It was in the little things. Like the secret smiles and the 'sneaky' glances they shared during training sessions. No matter who he shared seats with, whenever they travelled for a match, if he wasn't relaxing while playing games with the other guys, Kylian almost always made sure he took the seats closest to her. Be it in front, behind or across the aisle. In his mind, he didn't want to make it too obvious by sitting with her too often. He didn't know he'd already lost that battle with subtlety.

They didn't have a proper date until late February while they were in Spain for an away game against Madrid. Though it wasn't much, they made plans to have dinner in the hotel's restaurant after the match.

Kylian ignored Ach's amused reflection behind him in the mirror and checked his hair again. He straightened his clothes for what must have been the tenth time, then adjusted the chain around his neck one last time.

"I can't believe it took you this long, man." Said Achraf as he shook his head. He laid back on the bed, folded his hands behind his neck and continued to watch his friend.

Kylian only huffed out a breath and shook his head. He wouldn't fall for it.

As he turned away from the mirror, satisfied with his look, someone unexpectedly knocked on their door. Kylian froze where he stood and stared at as if it would explode any minute. His heart rate spiked.

"Relax, it's just the food I ordered." Achraf hopped up from his bed and shuffled across the room to get it.

Kylian swallowed and waited. Though they'd agreed to meet downstairs, there was always the possibility that those plans could have changed for whatever reason.

His shoulders only slumped after he saw that for sure it was a room attendant who was pushing in a trolley with covered dishes into the room.

After the woman happily ambled out with a good tip in her pocket, Achraf turned to him and laughed.

"This is so unlike you. You're acting like you've never been on a first date before."

"Actually. This is our second one." He said nonchalantly as he applied lotion on his hands one last time. This time, it was his best friend's turn to freeze.

"Really? When was the first?"

Kylian turned to Ach and held out his arms. "The Christmas party. Now how do I look?"

"I didn't know you guys considered that a date," he popped a grape into his mouth, then pointed at his outfit, "Like you're trying too hard."

The smile dropped instantly from Kylian's face.

"Really?" His mouth fell open, and he glanced down at his outfit, then stared up at his friend.

"Nah, I'm kidding. You look great, I haven't seen you worry like this since the last world cup final. Just go. Have fun."

"Yeah, yeah." Kylian nodded and blew out a breath through his lips.

"Wait! One more thing." He said suddenly, causing Kylian to look at him quizzically.

Achraf walked up to him and grabbed his shoulders, "Kyky, my friend. Don't bomb this. Tonight, tonight you become a man. You go down there, and make me and Ney proud."