Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER SONG: LOVE STORY BY INDILA

Sapphie threw her phone on her bed and groaned in frustration. As the clock ticked closer to the dinner date at Kylian's, she anxiously searched through her closet for something to wear. Her nerves were on edge, and the mess of discarded outfits on her bed resembled the knots in her stomach. What could she wear that didn't shout 'trying too much' or 'I didn't care enough to try for you guys?'

When she found nothing. She, too, threw herself on the bed and stared up at the ceiling.

"God, what am I going to do?" She asked. But just then, she heard Caleb yell out her name from the living room.

"Renée is here!"

Sapphie vaulted from her bed and rushed to open her door just as Renée was about to turn the knob on the other side.

"Hey!" Waved Renée.

"You're a godsend." Sapphie grabbed her friend's hand and hauled her inside before shutting the door behind her.

"Well, hello to you too." Blinked Renée as she removed sat down her satchel on the floor beside her.

"You've got to help me. I have no clue what to wear to dinner at Kylian's and I only have about thirty minutes to get ready before he gets here," she admitted.

"Okay, so you weren't joking when you said it was a major emergency. But don't worry," Renée smiled reassuringly, "We'll find something."

Renée pulled out a few dresses from her wardrobe. Sapphie watched as Renée laid out a few options on the bed. "I don't want to look too... dressy. I mean, it's not like we're official, official. But, I also don't want to look too casual either," she said, tugged at her Afro in frustration.

Renée nodded in understanding, "Sapphie, don't worry. I've got you." She turned around and stared at the wardrobe again, rubbing her chin as she did so.

"I think a dress would be perfect," she shrugged, "I mean, it's a classic dinner outfit and shows that you put effort into your appearance."

"This one?" Sapphie held up a knee-length black dress with a bit of lace on the shoulders. Renée looked at her as if she'd asked the dumbest, most obvious question in the world.

"You're not going for a funeral... nor prom." She made a disgusted face.

"What? This is a wonderful dress. An original Channel."

"Good, then you can tell everyone when you shake each of their hands so they'll know, too."

"Dang Renée, you didn't have to say it like that." Sapphie laid the dress back on the bed.

"From what I know, the person who's hardest to impress in his family, it's his mother. She's a real matriarch, tough to please, but a sweetheart once you get to know her. She doesn't play when it comes to her family and I suspect you'll probably see a bit of that tonight, just to give you a heads up."