Chapter Twenty-Two

It filled Kylian with excitement and affection when he entered Sapphie's office; they were now a couple. It still filled him with wonder whenever he thought about it. When he walked in, he noticed Sapphie's solemn expression with a phone to her ear, her belongings partially packed and at her desk. She had been crying. Her shoulders were slumped. Kylian's heart sank at the sight, and he immediately went over to her, sitting down on the corner of her desk right in front of her and drawing her into his arms just as she ended the call.

"Hey. What's wrong?" he asked, his voice soft.

Sapphie looked down at him, her face downcast.

"Work is just frustrating me, Kylian." She said, her voice heavy with exhaustion.

Her words had him frowning.

"What?" she asked.

"That's it?" He asked.

"What do you mean 'that's it'?" When he saw the expression on hr face change, Kylian was quick to clarify.

"It's just that it wasn't what I was expecting you to say. I just heard that my mother came around and I thought..." he shrugged then gestured at her.

"Ah, that." She let out a little laugh, then pecked his cheek before going back to packing up her stuff. "That was a good chat, actually."

"Really?" He asked, sceptically.

"Really." She nodded as she finished up and pulled him along so they could start leaving. But Kylian pulled her back to stand between his legs and trapped her by winding his arms around her waist.

"That's it?" he asked.

"Yeah, what do you want me to say?" she laughed.

"I don't know, something like what did you actually talk about?"

"I can't do that. I'd be breaking the girl code."

"The last time you two saw each other, you had an entirely different reaction to having 'a chat' with her. I'm curious to know what changed?"

Kylian was referring to the night they had dinner with his family. After he took her back home, he remembered the look in her eyes when he mentioned his mother. He knows she'd had a good time with his family, but it wasn't a secret to him that mom had intimidated the heck out of Sapphie.

"Since when do you have 'a code' with my mom?"

"Since today," she smiled with a roll of her eyes, "if you wanted to know so much about what we talked about, why didn't you join?"

"You're not telling me, are you?"

Sapphie shook her head. "Not a chance in this life." She patted his shoulder with a life.

"What if I..." he lifted his hands, his fingers wiggling in the air.

"Tickling me won't help you either, Kylian." She laughed with a shake of her head.

"Darn, I guess I was going to lose that battle anyway," he said, then cupped her face in his hands. "Will you at least tell me what was bothering you when I came in? That looked like some conversation."

He nodded his head in the general direction of her office landline.

"Things are going wrong, and Pierre is being hard on me for it. I just need one thing to go right." Kylian's heart went out to her, and he hugged her tighter.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" he asked.

"As much as I'd appreciate that, I have to figure this out on my own. I wouldn't be any good at my job if I had some sort of get out of jail free card at every speed bump I hit. I have to prove it to my boss and myself that I am capable, which is just..." she shook her head and laid it on Kylian's shoulder.