Chapter Twenty-Seven

Sapphie slowly regained consciousness, her senses dulled. As awareness seeped back in, the first thing she registered was the brightness in the room and the stiffness in her neck. The only sound she could hear was a constant beeping somewhere in the room. Her vision was still blurry so she tried to blink it into focus.

Pain flared as she tried to turn her head, realizing something hard restricted her movement. Panic set in as her breathing quickened. So did the beeping noise.

What was around her throat? Where was she?

With her free hand, Sapphie hurriedly explored the restrictive brace as a whimper left her throat, causing pain to explode in her side.

"Sapphie?" She heard a familiar voice say beside her.

"Kylian? Where am I? What happened?" She sniffled.

"Ssh mon ugges, you're safe," that's when she felt a hand gently take hers before she saw his face look down into hers, "You were in an accident but you're going to be okay."

When he said that, that's when fragments of the accident rushed through her head as if the flood gates had been opened. The tree, the crashing impact, screaming sirens.

"Let me call the doctor." Kylian's voice cracked as he looked down at her bruised face again.

Seeing the fear and confusion in her eyes scattered the last remnants of his composure. All he wanted to do, was to envelope her in his arms and shield her from further hurt. But her injuries prevented even that small comfort.

Since none of her relatives were in the country, and he was the only by her bedside. All he could do was call her mother to tell her and prep for her flight to Portugal.

Sapphie had suffered whiplash, a mild concussion, two broken ribs and a broken ulna. The doctor had said she was lucky her injuries were minor compared to ones that are commonly associated with her kind of accident. Lucky or not, he was happy she was still here.

After the doctor came by and checked her progress, the older woman gave them another update and left them alone. Before leaving, she'd elevated Sapphie's bed so that she was seated back in her bed. That's how she noticed that the TV in her room was broadcasting the game between Madrid and PSG.

"The match is still ongoing?" she asked.

"Yeah," he glanced up at the TV. The scoreline was just as he had left it, "I needed something to keep me distracted."

Sapphie looked at him up and down in realisation. Apart from the sneakers on his feet and the open hoodie, she could see he'd come straight from the arena.

"Are you sure you don't want to be there for when they lift the trophy?"

Kylian smirked, "How do you know if we are going to win?"

"I'm your lucky charm remember?" she grinned, then added, "But seriously, you should be with your team. See it through that you win, I'll be waiting for you here, it's not like I can go anywhere."

All Kylian did was shake his head. "You mean more than a trophy Sapphira. I thought I lost you tonight. Besides, my mind wouldn't be in the right place as long as I knew you would be in here alone. Plus I've already done my part."

When she saw the pain in his eyes, the effort it took to hold himself back, Sapphie caressed his jaw in her good hand.

"And here I was thinking you were giving me the silent treatment when you were here fighting for your life." He shook his head.

"Do you remember what happened?" he took her hand in his and kissed it.

Sapphie grimaced as memories of the accident flashed in her mind's eye. "Paparazzi." She took a shaky breath. "They followed me. Wouldn't stop taking pictures."