Fire (CHAPTER 12)

But if I'm required to lie awake so I can look after you I wouldn't mind it. Just wish we had time so don't go killing the vibe.

-TV Girl

Campers and the counselors alike spent their day, from nine in the morning to six in the evening finding wood for the campfire. 

Even the groundskeeper, Marilyn, had helped a bit in pointing some younger kids in the direction of the best wood stockpiles. 

Edric, of course, spent his day watching Hunter haul literal trees over to the firewood pile. To be honest, he was losing his shit over it. 

Edric had never seen a guy do the most awkward manual labor ever and look good doing it, all while in a Hot Topic shirt and basketball shorts. 

Hunter really had no problem doing all the heavy lifting he did. In fact, he enjoyed it. 

To keep his mind off... unpleasant things during his school year, he would always work out. So carrying literal dead trees on his shoulders was no issue. 

And he wasn't exactly against how often he would catch Edric staring and watch him turn red when Hunter winked at him. 

                * later that night... >:) *

The sun set over the gloomy, mountainous horizon. As it did so, Hunter called all the kids in, however, he was unable to find Edric. 

Whatever, he's old enough to do his own thing. 

Just as he was about to light the fire, Edric came out the bushes, carrying something. 

"Sorry, sorry! It just took me a minute to find my guitar, I hadn't realized I put that much stuff in my car..." He laughed nervously and set the case down by the log he and Hunter sat at.

However many questions Hunter had, they had to wait a moment. 

He lit the fire and it burst out in warm toned flames, illuminating all the campers' faces. 

They all made sounds of amazement, and some began to roast marshmallows. 

Edric watched and listened to the fire crackle as Hunter stood and sat next to him. "Guitar? Since when have you played guitar?" He asked, looking at the decorated case. 

"I've played it since third grade?" He laughed, taking out the wooden instrument and began strumming the strings.

"I've always thought guys who played guitar were hot." He scoffed and leaned forward a little, smirking.

Edric flushed red and looked away. "Dude, stop it, there's kids here."

Hunter laughed and backed off. 

He wasn't truly ready to come out, and he had a sneaking suspicion Edric wasn't either. 

As the kids settled down a bit, Edric started to play 'Sweet Caroline' as a sing -a-long and a few other classics. 

The night was spent in the warm glow of the campfire as songs were sung, hands were held, and jokes were made. 

The night rolled on until the last camper retired for the night, leaving Hunter and Edric to bask in the glow of the fire.

"...Guitar? Really? Why hadn't you mentioned it before?" Hunter asked, turning towards him.

"Oh, its no big deal. Just a little, extra hobby I picked up so my parents would stop pestering me." He looked around and smiled, his fingers tracing the strings, vibrations singing through the air.