The Night in Question (CHP 37)

Every alibi a fabrication, every sigh an admission of guilty, every apology an invitation to a life of crime. Where were you on the night in question?

-TV Girl

Enough time had passed and it was finally the night of all Hallow's eve. Luz and Amity were styling matching Good Witch Azura costumes- Luz as the Azura and Amity as Hecate. They did look really cute, in the costumes Hunter had helped sew. Willow was dressed as a striped demon, using fake fangs in her as well customized costume from Hunter. Gus was a giraffe- something terrifying to Boiling Isles residents, apparently. Then finally, Hunter and Edric- Frankenstein and Frankenstein's bride. Hunter had obviously edited Edric's costumes to give him flowy pants instead of a dress, but it turned out really nicely.

"You kids look adorable! Come on, gather in close for a photo." Raine grinned, holding up a camera.

"Raine, seriously? They're still not our kids." Eda rolled her eyes, but put a gentle hand on her partner's shoulder, who shrugged.

"I know that, Edalyn. But I still wanna keep their memories." They chuckled, taking a picture.

After a quick group photo, they were ready to go.

The Boiling Isles were  quite extravagant when it came to any kind of holiday, including their specialty of All Hallow's Eve. For once, they didn't feel out of place in such a vibrant, colorful place. Everyone was dressed up as curious critters or fantasy characters.

For the first time since they had come to such a horrific place, the kids felt normal and at peace.

In the center of the typical market plaza, there were activities and different things going on. The historical center was putting on plays of old human hunting, which spooked the ids at first, but they quickly got over themselves. The most interesting part was the 'Haunted Hay-ride', a fun little experience they wanted to find out about.

The group gathered into the hay-filled carriage, sitting on top and besides hay-bales. They had circled, in the order of Gus, Edric, Hunter, Luz, Amity, and Willow. Raine and Eda had opted out, as they had wanted to get a candied apple to share.

The young witch, around their age, stood on the seat at the front. They had short black hair, a tooth gap an sharp nails painted in the colors of the non-binary flag, a small detail that had mad Luz smile.

"I hope you're all prepared for a truly scary ride!" They began as their opening statment, using a light spell to illuminate their face.

"Make us cry! Make us cry!" Willow and Gus chanted together... They had always been geeks for horror and demon realm horror was much better than the human realm.

"Because there's nothing scarier than knowledge." They grinned, causing Gus and Willow to become incredibly disappointed.

"Boo! Just lie to us!" Gus booed, immediately getting a head shake from Willow.

The carriage began on, the young witch beginning the story- the tale of the brother Wittebane's. The name alone made the group's blood run cold, particularly Hunter. No one had yet figured out he was a Grimwalker and he wasn't exactly eager to hear anything about his 'family.'

They told the story of two brothers, Caleb and Phillip. Both orphaned at a young age, Caleb did his best to take care of younger brother in such a horrific, human-accepting town. 

Lore has it, they met a real human, a girl. Her name was Evelyn. 

She daunted Caleb away from his righteousness, enchanting him with her human 'magic' of peaceful lifestyles and carefree days.  Using asecret code to travel between realms, they would often visit each other.