★ 3. Preparation ★

"Zelda! How long are you taking to don a single dress?" Aurora called out from the outside, knocking rather impatiently on the closed doors

But I paid no heed to her as I myself was entangled in yet another annoyment. What in the world made these people to have a dress code for balls? Was wearing enough clothes not enough for them anymore?

My legs fumbled through the lengthy and intricate curtain of the dress, while my scarred arms felt undeniably exposed in this piece which sported no arms. With a low cut bust and a high cut that showed my legs, I was left flabbergasted at the amount of skin it showed. How was I supposed to cover myself when this dress was made to uncover me?

Groaning in utter frustration, I held the midnight dress up by putting a hand on my bust and opened the door. As soon as I did so, Aurora barged inside, her long black hair dancing animatedly on her delicate back.

"I knew you would need succour. What was the meaning of closing the doors when you had to finally let me in?" She reprimanded me while turning me around and taking control of the strings on my back.

"It's because all of this is extremely risible. I don't want to asphyxiate in a dress which weighs myriad kilograms and lessens the speed of my body. I feel the most comfortable in clothes that make me move with nimble precision."

Aurora sighed softly as her adept fingers worked on securing my dress. "Yes, my little fighter lady. I almost forgot how it's a shame for you to become like the other women in this world."

Her mordant remarks didn't really hurt me, as her quick tongue was one of my favorite things about her. It brought me a sense of realism in a life that was bound to gift me one misery after the other. Thus, I welcomed that fresh breath of air with both arms, but never let her know so.

When people realize they have some power over you, the days of fun start to become obsolete.

"Of course, I do not. This world would not be the same if I suddenly wish to change," I remarked in faux haughtiness, making soft laughter escape her lips.

"Here, you're all done," she said while tying the rest of my strings tightly behind my back. "Look at me, and let me see how well of a dress I've chosen for you."

I turned around with much difficulty and said, "No matter what you think, I still don't like it."

"Are these scars bothering you?" She asked me, completely disregarding my earlier comment.

I nodded after a moment, becoming pensive and serious all of a sudden. "Yes, I do."

My simple words made her think of something, and she rushed around her commodious room, seemingly in search of some item.

Her room was located right at the top most floor of the tavern, and sported a huge balcony which provided majestic views of lush mountains and hills of Goldwyn. The walls were painted in hues that resembled a light blush on a maiden's cheeks and the rich jade which emerged from the underside of sea waves, while her ceiling had elaborate paintings of unicorns flying in the royal blue sky.