★ 5. Duel ★

"Is he the one?" Dominic inquired from beside me

I was barely able to nod my head, my entire body and mind being fixated on the dangerous man. I noticed he had started to move around the ballroom, so I followed him without a word.

"Where are you headed to?" Aurora asked me.

"I've now gotten the chance to wield my weapon. Follow me," I ordered her.

Behind us, I could faintly hear Dominic making up some excuse to stop the nobility from blocking my path. As a demon huntress, it was now my uttermost duty to protect the guests of this party from the beast.

I took long strides, walking as quickly as I could with my high heels and that voluminous dress that was set on making me trip. Aurora followed me closely, showing her shocking strength in times like these. She was quite the perfect innocent girl outwardly, but nobody knew how fatal and precise her aim was.

The demon moved lithely, his mountainous figure weaving in and out of the crowd with remarkable speed and grace. It was almost beguiling for me, but I came back to my senses as soon as I had started to lose them.

He was just an enemy to me.

"Can you prepare a bow and some arrows for me?" I put forward my aberrant request in front of Aurora as I saw him coming to a standstill in front of a woman.

Petite and sporting wild, olive curls behind her red mask, I instantly realized she was his demon partner. They seemed to be engaged in a rather animated conversation. Shouldn't they have been a bit more discreet with their movements and gestures?

"Why? What are you going to do with it?" Aurora asked me, her voice becoming extremely shrilly all of a sudden. "Will you attack the young lady in red?"

I inhaled a deep breath and turned to face her. Beads of perspiration adorned her perfect delicate visage, while there was naive panic in her azure eyes.

I knew she fancied the new mysterious girl, and I was also aware of the fact that since she couldn't smell demons, the young lady must be an exciting adventure for her. But she still had me by her side – a huntress who recognized friend and foe with ultimate precision. And I would not let her fall into the abyss of her own accord.

"Aurora, the young lady is a demoness. A beast who feasts on blood of humans and fae alike. She is acutely minacious. She's precisely the woman you must stay away from. Do you understand?"

Her anxious visage fell apart with a loud shatter. It pained me greatly to watch agony etched on her face, but I ruthlessly persisted. Her crestfallen eyes rose to meet mine after a while, and I could see she was putting considerable effort in keeping her wits about her.

"Where should I meet you with the bow and arrows?" She inquired with a somewhat quivering voice.

I laid a strong, reassuring hand on her shoulder, letting her know that this was all just a momentary infatuation. It held no meaning whatsoever, and that she was above this puerile game of lust and attraction.