★ 8. Pact ★

A peculiar burning sensation enveloped me, arising from my head and traveling all the way down to my toes

A peculiar burning sensation enveloped me, arising from my head and traveling all the way down to my toes. In that moment, I was sure he was actually healing me. Like I had wished Aurora would. Like any other faerie could.

The stupor I had temporarily fallen into, collapsed suddenly and the harsh reality dawned upon me. How could this stranger reek of a demon while still possessing qualities and powers of a faerie? Something wasn't adding up about this queer situation.

I disentangled myself from his hold and scraped my chair back. Shock and surprise glowed heavily through my veins and I needed to know what the truth was. The wild thoughts and possibilities running through my mind must have shown their nature in my eye, seeing how this dem- stranger looked at me peculiarly.

"You desire to know the truth behind my peculiarity, right?" He inquired, putting my unspoken thoughts into words.

I nodded wordlessly, simply unable to speak up.

He sighed, a solemn look taking over his visage. "It is precisely as you have seen. Although not a lot of people are aware of my secret. Not even faeries."

"What is?" I whispered, afraid my loud voice would bring forth something more unpleasant and shocking than what I had just witnessed.

At least I now found the answer to his scent that sometimes emerged stronger than the odor of demons.

He locked eyes with me once again and said, "That I am both demon and faerie. Holy blood as well as filthy demon blood both flow in my veins. I have become a hybrid who has to live the rest of his life teetering between both sides of the world. There is nothing more to this story other than that I lead double lives."

My breath was knocked out of my lungs as I listened to him speak his truth. I had never imagined that such a situation could occur. Although the situation which forced him toward such a decision was crystal clear, I still demanded an answer from him.

"Why? What made you turn into a demon?" I asked, still eyeing his hand that had healed me just moments ago.

"The High Lord desired to keep an eye on the enemy and their activities, and well, I was the best pawn he could find. Even you are aware how he absolutely abhors taking help from the hunters."

Pawn? Why was he the best pawn? What was his story that had made his broken self so indifferent? I could only comprehend the dam of emotions bound by an unruffled affectation hiding inside him because I too, was the same as him.

He was clearly straining himself and striving to live a semblance of a sane life, but that exterior had to crack at some point. And through those cracks, I could see someone trying to not lose control and remember who they were once.

Not that the effort would bring in any result.

"Of course, I'm aware. Jov would never willingly work with us," I replied, still reeling from the savage head injury and the shocking revelation about the hybrid stranger.