★ 14. Deceit ★

(Zelda's Pov

(Zelda's Pov...)

It had been myriad of days since I last heard from him. Surely, he had sent me letters to inform me of our plans, but since we had initiated such an intimate relationship, shouldn't he have proposed to meet, even if it was for a while?

It felt as if that night had never happened between us, and we were back to being just partners who had a common goal to achieve.

I wasn't sure what had caused this sudden change in his behavior, and I couldn't find an answer to his strangeness, no matter how much I pondered over it. Was it because he was busy finding information from the demons and passing it onto Jov and then me? It could be feasible, still, something felt off to me.

I sighed once more as I glanced at the letter in my hand with a longing gaze. I hadn't even realized it before, but I was utterly obsessed with Kaian. Not just his handsome looks or his sensual charisma, I admired his bravery and sense of sacrifice the most.

He had sacrificed his entire life and taken up a highly dangerous task, just for his folk and his kingdom. He had gone to the length of murdering innocent people he would never harm otherwise, but never crumbled before his mission. If that didn't show how generous and selfless he was, nothing ever could.

Signing once again, I opened his last letter:

Dear Zelda,

The time has arrived. Send a summoning letter to all your companions, and ask them to infiltrate the Corignis kingdom from an opening in the forest.

I have sent you the precise location on the map attached, so I hope you will find it successfully.

Most of all, I hope you find the monster who killed your parents and give him the worst kind of ending, because you are more than capable of it.

Kaian.

He had stopped using my nickname, and didn't even write his regards anymore. Still, he had remembered about my parents and how badly I wished to avenge them. I just couldn't comprehend whether he was evading me for a reason, or whether he was merely busier than before.

I took out my pen and began to write another letter to Aurora. It had been Dominic's idea, and I couldn't bring myself to reject it. It was an absolutely unerring plan, meant to safeguard us lest something went awry.

And I told her precisely that. I wrote to her and asked her to gather an army of faeries under her control. Even though she had left her power and influence in Windsor long ago, the faeries would not object to working together in such dire circumstances.

Her role would be to protect us hunters and while we would become the face of the war, Aurora and the faeries would infiltrate unbeknownst to the demons and strike them when they let their guards down completely.