★ 13. Truth ★

(Kaian's Pov

(Kaian's Pov...)

I opened my eyes from the void into pristine, colorful surroundings. It was the room I had lived in for a while when I first entered the small town of Goldwyn. Although there weren't a lot of people residing here, this town held significance among the royal family and other nobles, all thanks to this tavern. Thus, Ilyon had urged us to visit this place first.

Of course, it was also because he absolutely loathed Zelda and Dominic for they were the longest standing hunters who never got defeated. It was only a matter of time that he sent his best warriors to confront them.

Thinking of the mission made me think of Zelda, and memories of last night flowed through my mind naturally like water. A soft smile spread on my visage as I recalled everything about her – that haunting green eye which dripped with irresistible sensuality, her soft skin which welcomed me openly and warmly as a long lost companion, and that body brimming with undeniable passion just for me.

I couldn't believe every single dream that I had dreamt about her, had come true last night. In a true frenzy of passions, we lost ourselves to each other, and there was nothing that could make me happier than that. Smiling like a veritable fool, I brushed my long hair back and got up from the bed. Zelda must be busy in the bathtub, and I must join her at the earliest.

However, my excitement turned into despair as I failed to see any inkling of Zelda in the room. Where had she gone? Perchance, she had run away? She wouldn't do something as silly as that, right?

Resigned, I wore my pants and decided to wait for her, lest she thought of coming back. But my moments of waiting weren't in peace. A certain sensation coursed through my body once again, for the second time since the night at Windsor Castle.

Although I had divulged my real identity to Zelda, she wasn't aware just how dangerous this mission was for me. Being constantly hung between being a faerie and a demon messed up my body dynamics more than one could imagine.

It all depended on equilibrium and how often I acted as a faerie or demon. The more people I killed and the more souls I sucked, the black demon blood in my veins grew stronger, giving me incredible powers that only belonged to higher level demons. But the more I acted like a faerie and used my healing powers to save humans, the more my powers as a demon decreased.

If I looked at it, it was an incredible curse I would have to live with for as long as I was alive. I couldn't get rid of either blood from my body, and my life was supposed to hang onto that little thread of balance forever. Still, ever since I had to kill a young couple ten years ago to prove my worth, I had never once thought of saving a human's life... until Zelda.

That night when I saw Zelda injured and helpless, it made something splinter inside me. Rage clouded my senses and before I knew it, I had murdered the demon who dared raise his blade against her. When I treated her using my faerie powers, I felt myself grow weaker as a demon.