★ 11. Savior ★

The world around me seemed to be rising to another height

Maybe it was the effect of falling down from a remarkable height, but the world just wouldn't stop spinning around me. I saw trees whipping past me, birds flying over me, and the blurry visages of Leonah and Aurora and a third person.

Panic and bemusion clouded my senses as a foreign figure whipped through the air and past my flying body. I wondered what or who that was, but before my mind could conjure up anything, I met the ground with great pressure.

The much awaited second finally came, and I closed my eyes, accepting my fate when something completely opposite happened. Instead of crashing down into the hard gravel beneath me, I crashed into something much less hard than the ground and rolled off it. Since I was not prepared for this intervention, I lost my balance and ended up landing on my feet, with my left ankle twisted in a strange angle.

My back hurt, albeit landing on a much softer surface, and I didn't even wish to concentrate on the searing pain in my left ankle. It felt thousand times more painful than the cut on my right thigh. I cursed the intervention and turned around to see what had actually occurred, when I saw that it wasn't something, rather someone.

And that someone was Kaian, to be precise.

"Y-you! How the hell did you manage to brisk your way down before me?"

The words just sputtered out of my mouth in an incoherent manner, percase the result of being shocked by the epic fall. Still, I couldn't comprehend how he had so rapidly traveled all the way down and saved me at the last moment. It was all extremely queer and beyond my comprehension.

But all he did was crack his back and dust his hands off. Offering me a killer smile, he said, "You seem to forget already that I'm a demon. I possess questionable powers, Miss Trouble."

My heart lurched at his nickname for me, while I stared at him like an absolute fool. Just what was this man doing to me? I felt myself gradually grow hotter and redder under his intense, unrelenting gaze, and the revelation didn't really surprise me.

I had known from the first time I had seen him, that I had fallen for him. Hard. It was just that my heart refused to accept this fact.

He smiled at me once more, and offered his hand for me to take. After a moment's hesitation, I put my hand in his. Even though I wasn't surprised by my attraction for him, the sparks I felt when my hand touched his completely threw me off. Incredible warmth seeped through me and spread through my veins like wildfire.

It was such an innocent, naive touch, but it threatened to set my body on fire.

Quelling my burning fire for him, I allowed myself to be pulled by him. But as soon as I stood up, the unbearable pain in my ankle worsened. I let out a soft whimper, and Kaian's hold on me tightened in response. I wondered whether it was a result of my wobbling figure or my whimper of pain.