★ 7. Secret ★

(Zelda

(Zelda...)

The rapid clashing of blades filled my ears, laced with occasional shouts of frenzy from the crowd. Half of the royal guards were busy fighting a single demoness, while the other half were assisting the guests to return to a place of safety.

But the process was as slow as a snail; the demons made sure nobody would be able to leave with ease. While I fought the male, the woman fired arrows, daggers toward the guests in the midst of an intense duel with the soldiers. It was safe to say that she was one of the legendary demons who would definitely suck the soul of their targets before they could even realize what was happening.

Of course, the demon Lord would dispatch his sublime warriors to wipe off the faeries.

But their obsession with blocking the exit only meant one thing - that they had intended to kill each and every guest present in this ballroom tonight. Still, that couldn't be feasible with just two demons, no matter how powerful they were. A task of such enormity required at least a small army of a hundred demons.

"Why do you seem so distraught? Have you finally come to the realization that your efforts are all incredibly futile?" A deep baritone taunted me, and I grit my teeth harder to rein in my ire.

My opponent was really much more than I had expected. He was no novice, and didn't heed any distractions. This demon had absolutely no trouble fighting and talking, or rather, speaking highly inappropriate things.

My skin crawled and goosebumps still appeared as I recalled his words. His warm breath blowing on my neck as he spoke questionable words into my ear had both appalled and excited me. I didn't realize it was possible to feel these emotions all at once, but something about him made me act like a pendulum, pulling away fiercely only to run into his arms with double the speed.

Even my icy glare that possessed the power to ward off the most ruthless demons, did not have the desired effect on him. It only amused him and brought out a smile I never knew existed within this man.

Either he was attracted to me or he was simply playing with me to mess with my mentality. And truth be told, I was in no position to comprehend the verity behind his words.

"Futile is not the word you should seek when you talk about me," I remarked confidently. "That kind of assurance will inevitably lead you to your doom."

My words brought out that smile again. It was the kind where he grinned ear to ear, but it was not a happy grin. He was simply telling me how he thought of me as a reason for his amusement, and not someone who was strong enough to be considered an opponent. It was the kind of grin that would make anyone dive deep into the pits of hatred and the desire to kill him.

And still, as my blood rushed to the surface and my heart beat faster than ever, I could not bring myself to unfurl any kind of fury on this demon.

"I'm sure you will have to change that claim in a little while. Till then, shall we get more acquainted with each other?"