★ 10. Doom ★

As soon as I stepped out of the house with my cloak on my shoulders and my sword in hand, I saw Dominic walking towards me with his owl, Cephur, on his arm

As soon as I stepped out of the house with my cloak on my shoulders and my sword in hand, I saw Dominic walking towards me with his owl, Cephur, on his arm. Kallus sat steadily on my shoulder and whistled softly as it saw Cephur.

We looked at each other and nodded, releasing our owls at the same time. Since we had disclosed the destination to them already, both Cephur and Kallus flapped their large wings and took off in the sky, flying steadily toward their targets, while we followed them on our horses.

Once the sun had set and the indigo sky loomed overhead, the villagers too, retired to their huts after a long day. The streets remained deserted, making it easy for us to reach the tavern. Although the tavern wouldn't be as deserted, the continuous music and festivities would pose as a great distraction for the humans.

The winds blew harshly against my cheeks, cooling my heated skin from earlier. It was like applying ice to a burn, refreshing and relieving. I kicked my horse in the gut, forcing it to gallop harder against the rebellious winds.

Soon, we reached the middle of the town where Aurora's tavern was located. Though I could hear loud music coming from the place, I couldn't place a finger on what was amiss about the place. It seemed to be wrapped in a cold embrace, as if someone was lurking in the shadows, waiting for doomsday to arrive.

We both dismounted from our horses at a distance and tied them to a tree trunk at the entrance of a forest. Parting ways with each other, we tiptoed around the humongous property to find any signs of demons here. Our olfactory power usually performed the task of recognizing demons anywhere, but physical hints allowed us to know what exactly had been going on.

While assessing the back of the round building, I came across one of the servants working for Aurora. He was carrying food supplies for the guests inside through the back door. Knowing I had to send her information, I called out to him.

"Jack! Wait!"

The boy halted in his tracks and turned to look at me. Intimidated by my presence as he invariably was, he simply looked at me with wide eyes.

"Could you go tell your mistress to come to the rooftop of the tavern? Tell her it's a request from Zelda," I requested him, to which he again nodded his head and entered the building.

Sighing, I resumed my search for demons. If I had to infiltrate Aurora's territory, I must at least inform her about it. It was quite aberrant that I still couldn't smell anything obnoxious. And the place too, seemed awfully quiet. Too quiet for barbarous beasts who didn't think twice before pouncing on their prey.

What had I missed in my excitement to catch more of such beasts? Had I really been tricked by Kaian?

I felt shocked to know how quickly and readily the thought had occurred to me. And I wholly blamed Dominic for injecting such groundless suspicions into my head. I couldn't jump to conclusions before I had even confirmed anything.