CHAPTER FOUR; mary on a cross

"your beauty never ever scared me."

---

y/n's pov

"Are you listening, Y/N?" Chad's voice broke me out of the trance I had been stuck in, staring at the calendar on the wall of his dorm.

"Hmm?" I looked back at him, taking my eyes away from the date.

27th of September 2022.

That meant the next day marked one year since Wes died.

One year since I had seen his face, or talked to him, or kissed him.

One year since I listened to him get murdered over the phone.

Chad followed my eyes and glanced back to the calendar.

"Oh." He realized and a small frown pulled on his lips. "Y/N..."

"It's fine, Chad. Whatever." I shook my head. "What were you saying?"

"Tara." He said and I raised an eyebrow, gesturing for him to go on. "Jesus, did you not hear anything I said?"

"Not one thing."

"You're a great friend, Y/N." Chad commented sarcastically, and I laughed.

"Yeah, whatever. Now what about Tara were you saying?" I asked. "Is this about your little crush on her or whatever?"

"Shut up." He groaned and I nodded.

"So it is?" I rolled my eyes. "Just ask her out then. I've noticed the way the girl blushes when I talk about you."

"Aw, you talk about me? I'm touched."

"Yeah, nothing good, though." I shrugged. "I mostly just tell her about how annoying you are."

"And yet, you're still here."

"Indeed I am." I sighed, leaning forward and taking an Oreo from the packet Chad had sitting beside him before throwing my legs over his.

The front door opened, and Ethan stepped in.

He closed the door behind him and shot me a smile. I smiled back.

Ethan was a real sweetheart.

He walked through the room and over to his side, sitting down at the computer on his desk and sliding a pair of headphones on.

Chad turned to me with a grin.

"I'll ask out Tara if you ask him out." He stated.

"Excuse me?"

"Ethan."

"I know who you're talking about. I'm more wondering why?"

"Because I'm, like, your best friend now, and I've noticed you guys both staring at each other with googly eyes and shit."

I shook my head.

"There have been no 'googly eyes', Chad." I scoffed and he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, whatever. I know what I've seen." Chad stated.

"Did Tara put you up to this?"

He shrugged and twisted his Oreo. He picked out the cream, eating it before he ate the cookie.

"What is wrong with you?"

"What?" His voice was muffled by the food in his mouth.

I shook my head.