CHAPTER SEVEN; k.

"think i like you best when you're just with me and no one else."

---

y/n's pov

I put on a fake smile and watched as another middle-aged woman walked out of the small store.

"Jesus Christ." I muttered, wiping my hands on my apron. I look up at the line to see a familiar, curly-haired boy looking down at his phone. "Ethan?"

He looked up and his eyes went wide.

"Y/N! Shit, I didn't know you, um, worked here." He gestured around the coffee shop. "Since when did you work here?"

"Since like three months ago, Eth. I started in July." I then looked down at the computer screen in front of me. "So what can I get for you, Landry?"

Ethan was silent for a moment, and his smile faltered for a split second. I didn't catch it, though.

"Um..." He coughed to clear his throat. "Just a, uh..."

It took him almost five minutes to decide.

"Jesus, Ethan. You're lucky there's no one else here." I sighed after he finally ordered. "What are you doing here?"

"I was, um, actually on my way to see you." He answered as I started making his drink. "But I stopped here first. Lucky, huh?"

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yeah. I, uh... I wanted to ask you something."

"Well, you can ask now." I shrugged, placing a lid on the drink's paper cup.

"Okay..." He cleared his throat. "Uh, would you, um, maybe want to go on a date with me?"

"So, would you want to go on a date with me... next weekend?"

I slid Ethan his cup and smiled.

"Yeah, of course." I cleaned the small mess of split drink I had accidentally left while making it. "When were you thinking?"

"Um, tonight maybe? Only if you're free."

"Well, I'm closing tonight, but I get off at 6:30, if that's okay?"

"No, yeah, yeah, that's fine, really cool." He nodded quickly, stumbling over his words. "Perfect. Yeah."

"You seem nervous, E. Am I really that scary?" I asked and he chuckled, looking down at his drink. "So tonight?"

"Yeah. I can pick you up, too."

"From down the hallway? My knight in shining armor." I reached forward and ruffled his hair. "I'd love for you to pick me up. Maybe around 7:30?"

"Yeah, cool. Awesome." He nodded again. "Um, I'm gonna..."

He pointed over his shoulder towards the door.

"Bye, Y/N." He leaned over the counter and pressed a kiss to my cheek. "See you tonight."

I bit back a smile. "See you tonight, Ethan."

---

I sat on my bed, bouncing my leg up and down as I avoided biting my nails.

"Why do you keep on looking at the door like that?" Anika asked and I looked over to where she and Mindy were seated by Mindy's desk.