CHAPTER ONE; welcome to new york

"when we first dropped our bags on apartment floors
took our broken hearts, put them in a drawer"

---

y/n's pov

"You guys managed to score a nice place." Mindy nodded as we looked around Sam and Tara's new apartment. "It's pretty big."

Originally, it was just going to be Tara's apartment. Until Sam decided to follow us to New York.

"That's what she said." Chad snickered and Mindy slapped his arm.

"Hey, did you guys manage to find a roommate?" I asked and Sam nodded.

"Yeah, her name's Quinn." Tara replied, stirring something in a pot on the stove. "She moves in tomorrow."

"She seems pretty cool." Sam added.

"Speaking of roommates..." Chad looked up from his phone. "Mine's a total nerd."

"Oh, come on, Chad. Leave the guy alone." Mindy rolled her eyes.

"I'm not even kidding. Absolute loser. Kinda reminds me of..." Chad cleared his throat, glancing at me for a split second. "But it's just the nerd thing, really."

"Hey, Tara, what are you making?" I asked, changing the subject and avoiding a really awkward silence.

"Pasta." She answered. "Gotta impress my guests with my great cooking."

Sam frowned. "She almost burnt the place down last night."

---

We all ate dinner together and then sat down to watch a movie, because the Carpenters had barely anything but basic furniture in their apartment at this point.

None of us wanted to watch horror. Especially not after living it nine months earlier.

We settled on a comedy. Some Netflix movie none of us had seen.

"Hey, I might've burnt the popcorn a little." Chad stated as he came in with a bowl.

I felt myself tense. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Beware, it probably tastes disgusting."

"It's actually not that bad."

"Were you seriously doubting my popcorn making skills? 'Cause I'm an excellent popcorn maker and this is proof."

"Sure you are."

I remembered that night perfectly, like it was yesterday. That was the last night my life felt normal.

Wes and I had a sleepover, we watched movies, kissed, and he burned the popcorn.

"You okay, Y/N?" Tara's voice caught my attention and I looked to my left to see all four of my friends looking at me.

"Yeah." I put on a smile.

"Was it..?"

"Wesley? Yeah." I grabbed a few pieces of popcorn and looked back to the tv. "I'm fine."

Calling him Wesley was my way of acting like it wasn't as big of a deal as it really was. I mean, I would only ever call him that in a teasing way.

He was always my Wes.

My Wes.

I picked up my phone.

I hadn't changed my lock screen since he died. It was still the same picture it had been since last June.