CHAPTER THIRTEEN; we're in love

"you could absolutely break my heart
that's how i know that we're in love
i don't need the symbol of a scar
so put down the knife, we're not swapping blood"

---

y/n's pov

I sat between Mindy and Tara in the back of an ambulance early in the next morning.

Mindy's wounds had been tended to and now she was wrapped in a blanket. She was still in shock.

I stared at a blank spot on the ground in front of me and just hoped everything would just stop.

I just wanted Ethan.

"Chad." I heard his voice speak softly and I looked up.

Chad forcefully grabbed Ethan by the collar of his shirt and pushed him against the van that was parked near the ambulance.

"Where were you?" Chad interrogated.

"What? When?" Ethan spluttered.

"Last night!" Chad pushed Ethan again.

"What? I had Econ. You know this." Ethan explained hurriedly.

"Bullshit, man! You disappear, my sister almost gets killed!"

"Dude, I was in a study hall with a hundred other people." Ethan held his hands up in surrender. "You can ask any of them."

"Chad, let him go." I spoke just loud enough for them to hear me.

"Fuck, man." Chad's hands loosened and he stepped back.

"Oh, my God." Ethan looked over at the crime scene in the alleyway. "Who?"

"Anika and Quinn." Chad told him.

Ethan walked closer to the ambulance. "Mindy, I'm so sorry."

"Step the fuck back." Mindy warned, narrowing her eyes. "You're at the top of my list."

"I had Econ!"

Mindy looked up at Chad, who looked down at the ground.

I stood up and started walking towards him. Or limping, the running from the night before only making it worse.

"Y/N..." Ethan started and I just leaned forward, resting my head onto his shoulder. His arms found their way around me and he held me tight in a comforting hug.

"I'm gonna be right back." Tara said. I assumed it was to Mindy and listened as she walked away.

"Are you okay?" Ethan whispered into my ear as he kissed my cheek.

"I don't know." I mumbled back before lifting my arms to hug him back, doing my best to avoid hugging his backpack.

He let go for a moment to take off his backpack before he gently cupped my face in his hands.

"Ethan, it was so bad." I started to cry, my voice a whisper that I hoped the others wouldn't hear. I didn't need them to worry about me again, it would just add more to our problems. "Why does this keep happening?"

He sighed and wrapped his arms around me again, one hand holding my head to his chest.

"I don't know." He kissed the top of my head. "I don't know."

I felt like I could fall asleep in his arms. He just held me and comforted me, and that was all I needed.

I looked up at Ethan and saw how he was watching Sam and Tara talking with Quinn's dad with a curious look on his face.