CHAPTER FOURTEEN; say don't go

"why'd you have to lead me on?
why'd you have to twist the knife?
walk away and leave me bleeding"

---

y/n's pov

"So are we really doing the phone tracing thing that never works in the movies?" Mindy asked Kirby as we sat in the back of a van.

I was between Ethan and Chad, who were both eating.

"It'll be all, 'Keep him talking, Sam. Two more minutes, I've almost got him.' And then he hangs up just before we can get a lock."

"I can trace a call in under 15 seconds." Kirby spoke proudly.

"Well, you've got them out there as bait." Mindy sat up straighter then leaned forward to Kirby.

"Because the killer usually calls from somewhere nearby."

"And you think they're safe because it's broad daylight in a public place?"

"Look, I am here, okay? And so is Bailey." Kirby reassured her.

"This is exactly how our Uncle Randy died." Pointed out Mindy. "Broad daylight. Public place. Yanked into a van. Stab, stab, stab. No more Randy."

"Huh."

Ethan offered his bag of Cheetos to me and Chad. We just stared.

"Hey, Sam? Stay frosty out there, okay?" Kirby said into the microphone.

"We're good." Sam replied.

Then her phone started ringing.

"You're gonna die, you know." Sam said after answering.

"No, you're gonna die, Samantha! Choking on your own blood while I hack up your sister."

I hadn't heard that voice since my phone call with Wes.

"Unless we find you first." Sam threatened.

"For a mastermind, you're not very bright. Waiting for me to call, desperately hoping I'm nearby so the police can grab me? But I'm not nearby, I'm a step ahead. Be seeing you, Samantha."

The killer then hung up.

"Did you get it?" Sam asked.

"Yep. Geolocation coming through right now." Kirby told her. "He's on the Upper West Side. He's inside an apartment building, halfway across the city."

"On West 96th?" Tara asked.

"How did you know that?" Questioned Kirby.

"Gale." Sam's voice followed.

---

After Gale was attacked, we were sat in the apartment building's lobby.

Sam sat alone while Tara, Mindy, Chad and I squished onto a larger seat.

The glass doors slid open and Sam's boyfriend, Danny, ran inside.

"Hey. Hey." He greeted, coming up the small set of stairs and stopping in front of us. "I got here as fast as I could."

"Did you?" Tara asked. She was accusing him.

"I'm scared, you guys." Mindy whispered. "I really don't wanna get hurt again."

"Neither do I." Chad's voice cracked.