2020 - Brown Belt Champion @EscapeInFiction

Congratulations to the winning Author: EscapeInFiction

Just Died In Your Arms Tonight 

We've been training, fighting, and learning for months now. Azazel and the others have pushed me and the girls to our limits, and further. It's been nice to have a break from the constant attacks from the spirit world but we haven't really had the chance to relax. We are the Guardians of the Apocalypse, it took some time but we've all come to accept it now. We're going to save the world.

I can't help chuckling to myself at the ridiculousness of it and receive a sharp tap to the ribs from Lenna.

"Distracted, Joel? You're not getting us in trouble again."

She gestured to Bridget and Althea, who were panting from their own spar as they came to join us.

"Hey, I didn't get us in trouble last time. Althea was the one fawning over Remi."

Althea tried to hit me with her staff, something she'd taken to using for everything recently. I dodged her easily, smirking when she flipped me off.

"I wasn't fawning over him, his wings were showing..."

It wasn't the first time one of us had noticed the tutors otherworldly attributes. But we'd been told to ignore it, to remain focused on our training and that's how Althea had got us into trouble. We call them tutors because we don't like thinking of them as our heavenly parents, it makes the situation all the more depressing and complicated.

"Alright, alright... I think we're done for the day anyway." Lenna announced, she'd sort of become the unofficial leader of the group.

She was the smartest, wittiest, and I wouldn't admit it out loud but the prettiest member. None of us argued when she sort of just, assumed the role. The rest of us played our parts; I was the strategist, the one figuring out different ways to get us out of a tough situation. Althea was the strongest, she had bigger muscles than all three of us and she loved to show them off. And Bridget was the stylist, the charmer- I thought I was smooth but I had nothing on her.

But one thing we all had was a thirst to learn and fight. Azazel said it was our inner Guardian trying to break out, that we were born fighters. It's how we cheated death, with their help of course. He said we'd reach our full potential after we sacrificed our angels, it was a subject that brought up many arguments and was never resolved in an agreement to do what they say has to be done.

"I think we should be done for good, I think we're ready." Althea claimed, tucking a strand of hair into her bun.

"Ready to save the world or die trying? You really think we're ready for that?" Bridget asked incredulously.

"Yes, we're never gonna be more ready, not even if we trained for another year. We're so in sync now, the Horsemen don't stand a chance."

Lenna and I smiled as she took up a fighting stance in front of Bridget, who reached out a hand to knock her off balance.