2022 - Green Belt Champion @a_author364

A Life for a Life by a_author364

Three gunshots pierce through the night air, six dozen pairs of eyes shooting immediately to the woods, towards the guard who lay dead in the clearing with fresh bullet holes in the back of his head. Realization taking over, every man except for the one I love, the one I resent, and the traitorous pair points their rifles in that direction, my direction.

Taking a deep breath, I step out into the clearing, a guard squirming helplessly in my arms with a gun pressed harshly against his skull.

"If something happens, run as fast as you can back to the trucks and, whatever you do, don't stop and don't look back. Do you understand me?"

That was his instruction, spoken in a low voice with eyes of earth and gold burning into mine. But he forgot to add a few things into his calculations:

His friends would betray him, our greatest enemy would order his torture via kicks and batterings...

And I'd never dream of leaving him behind.

"Well, well, what a party we have going on here," I say loud enough for my audience to hear. "I must admit, I have some interest in participating."

Kyle Alexander Hayes, the devil in human form, perks up, studying me intently.

"And you are?" He asks, discreetly motioning behind his back for his men to take aim at me.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," I state calmly, tightening my hold on the poor guard that happened to get caught. I press the barrel of my pistol more firmly against the man's temple as he chokes and claws at my forearm. Kyle keeps his hand raised, rifles still trained on me.

"And why shouldn't I? You're snooping around in business that has nothing to do with you."

"Because then you'd lose out on an important opportunity. Now..." I scan the endless rows of guards circled around Kyle and his current plaything before glaring back at their leader, "order your men to lower their weapons."

"And what about you? You're still armed."

"I'll put it down the second your dogs do." Kyle's eyes, full of uncertainty, narrow infinitesimally. I smile innocently in return. "Don't worry, you can trust me."

It takes a moment, but Kyle finally drops his hand, his men looking at each other in disbelief before their weapons follow suit. I shrug sarcastically, looking back at Kyle.

"Hm, I suppose a deal's a deal."

With a shove, the man in my grasp flies towards the dirt, his gasps for air ceasing to exist when I raise my gun and pull the trigger, a bullet tearing into the back of his head. Accompanied by the symphony of echoes ascending to Heaven, I toss the gun aside and make my advance towards Kyle and the broken man hunched over on the ground surely full of unadulterated rage.

It takes everything within me to stay calm, to avoid charging towards Kyle and blinding him with the toothpick he's chewing on, but I tighten the leash on the urge.

Get him out of here: that's the mission now. Stay focused.

"I'm here with an offer," I say finally, chin raised defiantly, my steps confident, "one that you'd be stupid to refuse."

"Sir-"

"Quiet, Grant!" Kyle hisses at Traitor #1, his steel blue eyes locked on mine. "This young lady wants to strike a deal and I'm interested to hear it." He straightens, shifting the toothpick in his mouth from one side to the other. "Continue."

"Thank you," I reply with a smile, glancing at Grant stationed next to his boss. He glares back at me, arms crossed in front of his chest. "Now, let's talk."

By now, I've more than entered Kyle's men's formation, their ringleader stationed just a few yards in front of me. My glare shifts to Ethan, Traitor #2, who is currently blocking Nathan from my view. Face impassive, I cock my head to the side, my silent version of "move the hell out of my way before I make you move." As if under a spell, he steps aside, giving me a full view of the man for whom I'd come out of hiding.

The first thing I notice is blood. Blood dripping like a leaky faucet from the gaping wound peeking through his raven black hair, blood caking the skin just under his nose, blood in the saliva he'd hacked up before I made my approach, blood everywhere. I'd have thought he'd been attacked by a bear if I hadn't witnessed everything with tears in my eyes and my trembling pistol trained on Kyle.

Then he looked up at me, hazel eyes dark with shadow widening immensely. Split lips parting, he shakes his head, and I...

I look away from him, focusing again on Kyle with my hands balled tightly into fists.

Now's not the time. Just get him the hell out of here. Get. Him. Out!

"You've made a few mistakes here, Kyle," I begin, hands behind my back as I begin to circle him like a predator its impending meal. "One: you just beat my husband to a pulp like it was an Olympic sport-"

"Your husband, huh?"

"And two..." Leaning towards him so my lips meet his ear, I whisper: "he's not the one you want dead right now. Trust me."

I step away from Kyle and towards Nathan, crouching down next to him and grabbing his face. He grips my wrists with a strength only a mix of fear and fury could create, a defeated yet relieved look in his eyes. I can't return it, nothing but terrified acceptance and a thousand apologies swirling in my gaze. His face, if it hadn't fallen before, does now, confusion prominent in every handsome feature. I simply smile down at him, caressing his dirty face.

I'm sorry, Nathan, but I don't have another choice.

"A life for a life," I announce, my eyes never straying from his. "That's my deal."

"And why would I make that trade?" Kyle asks, indignance bitten into every word as Nathan's face twists into one full of realization, the gold flecks in his eyes alight like embers from a fire. "What makes you more valuable than the man who wants nothing more than to kill me himsel-"

"Over a hundred of your men have died at my hands in the past four months." I whip around, the blizzard in my icy eyes threatening to swallow Kyle whole. "I'm the one you want. Kill me and let Nathan go. Kill him and, I swear, I'll turn you into a corpse before the year is over."

"Walker, no! Get the hell out of here!"

I look back at Nathan, eyes widening when they catch the butt of Grant's gun raised and ready to strike.

"Touch him one more time and the deal's off!" I scream, my hold on him tighter than it's ever been before as my eyes find Kyle. "What's it gonna be?!" Grant moves towards Nathan again, weapon in hand. Desperation guiding a swift kick to his ankles, I introduce him to the ground. "Kyle!"

"Leave him be!"

All at once, every sound grows mute, everyone's attention on Kyle. There's a pause before:

"We have a deal."

And, grabbing his face, I kiss Nathan for the last time, breaking apart only when I'm dragged away, my throat tight and my strength failing me.

It's done.

He'll be okay.