2022 - Purple Belt Champion @Lord_Pasta

The Long Run by Lord_Pasta

"We're breaking out tonight"

Our commander, Adil, shows us the map using his lamp. The shadows blot out some finer details, but his pen is pointing to a location near Talwaz: one of the last city-strongholds we are holding.

"We haven't heard from the other mountain outposts. Something must be in these caves, killing our comrades."

I yawn. The picture of a nice bed waiting for me at Talwaz floods my mind. Finally, after five days of two or three-hour naps. The commander will give me an earful if I indulge, but it's worth it. I guess.

Who would believe that this is once a fully-lit garrison with a few hundred men going around it? Here we are now: some three dozen tired souls huddled in a cave tunnel. That metal door in front of us? It's locked, and we have orders to never open it. I think having a large metal bar booby-trapped to a bunch of explosives at the base sounds excessive, but nothing is impossible anymore.

When was that? Probably yesterday? No. It was the day before. Rayyan and Sharif. I remembered them over the radio. There was screaming, followed by gunshots, and then silence. Just like that. The commander's face had a reaction of fear I've never seen before in other men.

Even until today, I still wonder what is Adil keeping secret from us.

Also, would things change had we won in Al-Sakhra way back? I miss the meals there. I have enough of going through tin after tin of beans.

Packs in the back, rifle's in hand. I pulled the bolt and readied a round in. Meanwhile, the bombs by the door are being armed. More wires are linked to three or four more explosives. Commander Adil stands in front of us. His eyes mean business. It's all right, as far as I can see. None of us seem to be in the mood to make jokes.

"A few reminders. Outside this mountain is nothing but darkness. We don't know how long will it take before rescue arrives. Don't lose your packs, and keep everything with you as much as you can. Your flashlights? They stay on. You need to see what's up ahead. When you hear something, don't get curious, don't play hero, stay on the path, and keep running. Your lives will depend on it."

He turns on his flashlight. I wish my own light is the type that you can clip on your cap. His face changed into a terse, dead serious gaze in front of us.

"No matter what you hear, or who you leave behind, do not look back."

We start marching. Single line. There's not enough tunnel to do it side-by-side. I hear the men at the back close a door with a bang. I'd sometimes hear a soft clink of metal. More bombs. This means business. I look back a bit by the time we reach the fifth door to see who the guys in the back are. Sappers. Their near-empty bags mean the last of their explosives were mounted on that door.

Then, rumbling. Whatever's hammering at the door makes the walls shake and the dust falls from the ceiling. Loud booms next.

"It's here. Run!"

We all spring to life. Every few meters we gain gets us an explosion. Whatever this is, it's drawing close to us. Our pursuer has most likely smashed through the third door when we reach the hall to the cavern exit. The ground is shaking. The hall's a little wider, letting me catch up to the commander. I say:

"Sir, we can set up an ambush and take him-"

"Useless. Don't waste words. Run."

It makes sense, maybe. Something that is unfazed by bombs exploding right in front of it is the least likely to be hurt by bullets. Can't question the commander's wisdom. Relying too much on beans don't seem to make me any faster. I see a few people falling on their knees. Some are starting to unstrap their packs. The last of the booby traps blows up. I can see the floor and walls shake. Another few of us drop after their feet felt the shockwaves. I hear the cocking of guns. Those who are behind shout louder than the reports of their weapons. But all that is short-lived. A few shots, then silence. Just like the last of I heard of the patrolmen.

"Go on! I can't run anymore."

"No! Let's send this bastard to the pits of The Abyss."

"The Almighty have mercy on me!"

I can't look back. Do I even recognize their voices? There's no time for such thoughts. I've got to keep up with the rest. If I don't make it out alive, all this is for nothing.

"You will never take me!"

The bombs are supposed to be out. But that was a little weaker than before. A grenade, I guess. If I throw mine, wouldn't I kill those behind me instead? That isn't going to help. There are fewer footsteps with me now. I don't think a lot of us are going to make it. I can't not look back anymore. There has to be something I can do. Something that can help them stay alive.

I turn around to fire. The backs of three men are before me. All of them, shooting at the darkness ahead. An unseen force knocks them back. And I see their bodies twitching. Eyes frozen wide. Mouth agape. Their guns clatter to the ground. Empty palms were pulled into... something, only to vanish like they were never there. I don't know what to make of this. I see something. My mind is stuck thinking what it is. My legs. My arms. I can't make them move.

"You fool!"

I am being dragged by the shoulder. Something bounces towards the hall. There's a great cloud of fire rising before me. My body shakes. The vision of Commander Adil forms in front of my face.

"I told you not to look back! On your feet. Move!"

I pick myself up, starting on all fours. My arms just had enough strength to lift me up. My rifle being my crutch. How do I have it in my grip after all this time? I almost slip as I regain my speed. The pack feels heavier than before.

Everything is a blur. I am outside the mountain base. A flag. Some sandbags. I smell the ground under me. I hear another set of doors closing, followed by something blowing up. Explosive fumes disturb the sweetness of the outside air. I rub my eyes as I follow the sound of panting men. My body drops with them. Some are sitting, some kneeling, and even some are flat on their backs.

The moon gazes at us. Its face in full brightness as it casts shadows on the ground. The commander's wrong on this one. I look back at the sky and watch the moon take shape against a clear sky. I check out the rest of the group. There are less than a dozen of us now.

Talwaz is half a day's walk from here. I wonder how the search team will get to us.